Mac Delete key not working in Dorico 4

I use Dorico 4.0.10 on my MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Monterey 12.2.1.
Somehow I cannot delete anything I selected on my score by pressing ⌫ (‘Delete’) key.
Does anyone have a solution for this? Or how can I troubleshoot this problem?

Here’s some more information:

Note: I choose Japanese for Keyboard language because I’m Japanese and using a JIS version of Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad. Dorico 4 sometimes doesn’t show Japanese correctly, so I use it in English. I don’t know this is related to my problem, though…

Welcome to the forum, @m8valleyz. If you try typing the Delete key in the Key Commands editor to try to set the Delete key as the shortcut for Delete, do you see the expected symbol appear in the field that shows the shortcut you’re defining (the one that shows Press shortcut in your screenshot)?

Thank you for your reply, @dspreadbury !
As for your question, strangely enough, yes, I see the ⌫ (delete) symbol appear in the Press shortcut field, and I cannot figure out where I went wrong.

The left-pointing arrow is Backspace, while the right-pointing one is Delete. Are you definitely pressing the Delete key?

This can be confusing because on [edit: English] Mac keyboards the backspace key is labeled “delete”! But as Daniel says, you can tell the difference by the glyph that appears.

Full-size keyboards have a separate delete-forward key. On laptop keyboards you can get forward delete with fn-backspace.

FYI just in case anyone is confused by this.

Thanks for making it clear, @Mark_Johnson. Yes, what I meant in the first place was that the Mac Delete key, which is equivalent to Backspace in Windows, didn’t delete an item on my score. (How confusing!)
Again, I pressed the button I’m pointing in the photo below.

Anyway, I have both Delete and Forward Delete as a shortcut for the Delete menu (as you can see in my screenshot above) and only the latter works. This is very strange…

I think I have found what is causing this issue. I use Google Japanese Input to type letters, but once I switch the input source to the one natively bundled with macOS, the Mac Delete key started to work.

This is still a workaround for me because Google Japanese Input is a very popular service for those who type in Japanese. However, the issue may not be Dorico’s fault and even if it is, it would have been very hard to detect…I think I need to check and tweak the settings of the input source. Anyway, thank you very much for taking time to looking into my question.

Wouldn’t checking this option in Google Japanese Input Preferences solve the problem?

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 10.05.28

1 Like

WOW, you are a lifesaver, @tomotomo2. That definitely fixed my issue! So the problem was not about Dorico, but about my input source, I guess? Thank you very much!

1 Like