Mac GUI animations laggy

Just upgraded to Mac OS 10.11 and Cubase 8.5 from 10.10/C7.5. (Complete fresh install of all OS and software)

I’ve noticed right away the EQ realtime analysis window animations and metering are laggy with Cubase 8.5. Not very impressed with the visuals here on mac.

Running on modern 1TB SSD with 24GB RAM. 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 Ghz 6-core w/dual 19" LCD monitors.

Please fix graphics compatibility with the mac platform! Thanks!!

Still present in 8.5.20

Here’s a video demoing the problem with a fresh project - simply stereo track. Moving the mouse around the screen causes GUI stutter and freezing in the EQ animation.

http://jeffperrinmusic.com/temp1/C85-bug-desktop.m4v

8.5.20 slightly improved the behaviour. Still, there are problems, this is reported, collected and worked on.

It is a general and known issue:

Thanks for the reply and link, Fabio.

8.5.20 slightly improved the behaviour.

Yes, I do think the meters improved a little. But my video demo above showing GUI stutter was indeed created while using Cubase 8.5.20.

I hope you guys at Sternberg consider the GUI lag a top priority and keep working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. Thanks!

JP

Some people are reporting some improvement by turning off “Automatically adjust brightness” in System Preferences, under Displays.

I’m still experiencing issues when I have certain plugin windows open. I noticed it today with Xfer LFOTool, and Ozone 7.

Thanks, Bill.
Both plug-ins use OpenGL, if I’m not mistaken.
Do you have an ATI or nVidia card?
@jpgtr: can you also post your GPU model?

Thanks!

Hi Fabio,

It’s the ATI Radeon HD 5770 (1024 MB) which came pre-installed in my 2012 Mac Pro.

@billcarroll

Thanks for the tip, but “Automatically adjust brightness” is not available on mac desktop machines.

Thank you, Fabio.

Here are my specs:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

Sorry for the late reply, been out of office.

Thanks both for the info… one last question in order to add the info to our existing tasks: how many screens are you using and at which resolution?

Thanks again.

Hi Fabio,

Two screens here, both @ 1440 x 900 resolution.

2 screens.

1. MacBook 1920 x 1200, 2. second screen via HDMI 1920 x 1080

This may indicate that is even more unfocussed than thought, as GUI issues are known to also affect PT (Pro Tools 12 - Yosemite And El Capitan Graphics Performance Compared And Our Advice | Pro Tools - The leading website for Pro Tools users) and even Logic (new mac and new problems... - Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.) Forum - KVR Audio).

In order to provide info, please send an e-mail as I recommended to do via PM, thank you.

I too am seeing tons of GUI issues. I am on 10.10.5 2013 Mac Pro. Just today I was working in the mixer window and when I tried to go back to working in the arrange window nothing would respond. The arrange window itself you could move around but everything in the arrange window was totally unresponsive, which was bizarre because the mixer window was still working. Cubase has some very ugly lingering issues that just never seem to get fixed. GUI issues being at the top. What are those engineers focusing on?!

Graphics are very laggy on my Mac Pro

Zooming, dragging audio events with waveforms visible and open/close mixer/screensets are all very slow.

Very frustrating…shouldn´t be hard for my system to cope with, must be something with cubase

Does this thread being moved to “Miscellaneous” mean the mac GUI issues will not be addressed. :confused:

I’ve got pretty off-the-shelf hardware here, so it shouldn’t be very hard to do a repro in-house.

any update on this? I think I’m seeing the same…