Mac install without totally screwing everything up

I have purchased the H6 upgrade from H4 by purchasing H5 upgrade to be eligible for free upgrade. At this point I’ve not yet installed anything for fears that I will mess up my system to where my older Cubase projects will not be able to load their programs/instruments. Most info on forum relates to upgrade from H5 or PC instead of mac.

Is there a way to install H6 from H4 that will allow old projects that use H4 and H3 to access their programs/Halion versions and associated samples?

Will the install mess with my previously installed content and samples/programs in any way?

I have two elisencers, is it possible to prevent H6 from overwriting previous licenses by keeping them on separate elisencers? Will this work without complications?

Is it preferable or necessary to install the H5 upgrade before installing H6? if not, is there a way to activate H5 without installing it just to receive the H6 upgrade?

I know this is a lot of stuff and have contacted support but don’t expect to hear back soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Stephen

Hi Stephen,

The install of H6 won’t screw your projects. It’s backward compatible to H5/H4/H3. So all your previous projects should work fine with H6 as well.

Since you bought an update from H4 to H5, there is no way to keep the old license for H4. The license for H4 will become a H5 resp. H6 license by entering the activation code to the eLicenser Control Center. To activate the license HALion doesn’t need to be installed at all. The whole license update is done in the eLicenser Control Center. So you can install H6 straight away.

If you have any further questions, just let me know.

Cheers,

Jan

quote=“Jan Riesener”]Hi Stephen,

The install of H6 won’t screw your projects. It’s backward compatible to H5/H4/H3. So all your previous projects should work fine with H6 as well.

Since you bought an update from H4 to H5, there is no way to keep the old license for H4. The license for H4 will become a H5 resp. H6 license by entering the activation code to the eLicenser Control Center. To activate the license HALion doesn’t need to be installed at all. The whole license update is done in the eLicenser Control Center. So you can install H6 straight away.

If you have any further questions, just let me know.

Cheers,

Jan[/quote]

Thanks for your reply but I’m still a bit confused.

After updating the license to H5 and then to H6 and then installing H6, will my older projects which used H3 and H4 load correctly (with paths to samples, etc.) in Halion 6 or in the Halion version they currently use?

Will the H5 add-on license allow the older versions to run and can it coexist on the same elisencer with H6? If not I have 2 elisencers.

Thanks, Stephen

After updating the license to H5 and then to H6 and then installing H6, will my older projects which used H3 and H4 load correctly (with paths to samples, etc.) in Halion 6 or in the Halion version they currently use?

• Yes, they will.

Will the H5 add-on license allow the older versions to run and can it coexist on the same elisencer with H6? If not I have 2 elisencers.

• The licenses can coexist on the same USB-eLicenser, no problem. The H5 add-on license let you run the older versions, no problem as well. But the install of H6 will replace the H3/H4 plug-in. So you won’t be able to run an older version of HALion on the same machine HALion 6 is installed.

Cheers,

Jan

Thanks for replying Jan,

I have one or two projects still in progress which uses an instance of Halion 3 and an instance of Halion 4 concurrently, any idea what will happen here? I realize this is somewhat of an odd ball scenario which would not be common to a lot of users hence may not have been tested.

Given that these are fairly complex projects that go back a lot of years, I would prefer not to have to reload/relocate samples from the H3 instance into H6 if it did not do it correctly on its own (of which I’m a bit skeptical).

In this case, would installing the H5 add-on license onto a separate elisencer from the one with H6 on it allow for H3 and H6 to run concurrently on these projects?

Alternatively I suppose I could render all the H3 instances into audio files before installing H6 and do it that way although that would mean I’d lose the flexibility of editing.

Anyway, I’d appreciate your thoughts on this,

Thanks, Stephen