Mac or PC for Cubase

I hear more of having issues with Mac so i want to hear which would be better to step a level up.

Hard to say as there is no definitive answer. Iā€™ve used a pc for years and have had no real problems from XP onwards. XP needed a lot more attention but has got less and less up to win 10 which I donā€™t think I have tweaked anything.

I have little to none issues with W10 and C10. And since i came from C9, C6, C5, SX3?
Fair to say Cubase runs allways, so i am windows and would choose windows for that.

I Use Cubase Pro 10 on both Mac and PC and theyā€™re near identical in regards to use and stability.

Windows machine gives me more power for the money and i can maintain/upgrade the machine freely is the main advantage and why i use Win 10.

Iā€™m using Cubes Pro 10 on Mojave with no issuesā€¦ quite snappy, very stable - no crashes and no gui glitcthes, etc. Perhaps slightly more resource heavy than Logic - but Iā€™m a hobbiyst running low track count projects.

Agreed. I prefer Mac as an OS (and I use it for non studio stuff) but PC will give you more bang for your buck, especially if you self build your PC (which is not that difficult). Anecdotally, I get the feeling Cubase runs better/more stable on a PC although I did not too many issues in the many years that I ran Mac in my studio.

PC. How macs became a norm in the professional world baffles me and is a travesty. They are user-experience devices for Grandmas to play card games and type in text editor. The PCā€™s Iā€™ve built, have never failed me.

Building your own computer custom with Windows OS I feel is what is professional and what a studio engineer/tech should be doing if they are going to consider themselves as such. I remember my Audio School, pretty much had to replace every Mac because everything stopped working on them, it was ridiculous. Compatibility hell. Update hell. Get macs out of the fking professional audio world could not happen quick enough. Theyā€™re suitable for email, and childrens educational games aged 3-11.

Just for the fun of it:
I never understood the MAC-Hype and I still dont get the Apple-Hype . Especially when I found out that you need an extra rucksack to carry all adapters to connect to the rest of the world with you. The adapters are stylish but you need tons of them. Apple always did a great job in undermining compatiblity/interfacing with the rest of the industry. - Typical case of vendor-lock-in.

And hereā€™s an anecdote from my former company:
Our CEO was all against Apple - just because he was afraid that adding another brand would complicate IT support (which it did, but this is a different story). Once in a meeting I stated the following joke (with a very serious expression on my face): ā€œThere are tons of report in IT-media that document that the connectors from apple are not exactly fitting into the plugs of other brands because of wrong measures. Thus they over time destroy the plugsā€).
Our CEO immediately wanted to ban Apple. I of course clarified that I had been just kidding.
The story shows: ā€œTruthā€ is what you claim in a meeting where none of the other attendants can directly disproveā€¦ ;o)

I am on a Mac OS X 10.13.x and use 9.5

No issues here.

However, I hear Cubase is supposed to work better on a Windows OS.

I have a feeling what 3rd party plugins you use is going to be a bigger technical issue you may run into.

Youā€™re showing some ignorance here iā€™m afraid, look how Audio drivers run on mac vs windows CoreAudio sits at the heart of the OS, itā€™s built-in native aggregate audio device support, availability and support of Mac Pro range of high end stable machines for pros, and historically hasnā€™t required the additional overheards of a Windows system for anti-virus/malware scans - from an OS level itā€™s got clear advantages vs Windows, in regards to Hardware you could buy an off-the-shelf machine which comes with pro support.

But things are changing, Apple donā€™t seem to value itā€™s audio users any more and want to push the oldschool Mac Pro Audio users into the Mac Miniā€™s. As a longterm Mac Pro user, itā€™s not for me, so iā€™m jumping to Windows.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s all great until a mac updates.

It depends on what you mean by ā€œstep a level upā€. For me personally, Mac works better. Multimedia is better integrated into the operating system, I find the applications for working with audio to be better, and the unix nature of MacOS is generally more powerful than Windows for performing advanced operations.

Skijumptoes is right that Apple doesnā€™t value audio pros as much as they used to, but the 2018 MacMini 6-core is a pretty good bang for your buck.

Ultimately, the decision isnā€™t about which platform Cubase works best on. I use Cubase on both Mac and PC and it works equally well on both. Itā€™s about which OS you feel comfortable on. And that generally comes down to which one you are already most familiar with.

Youā€™re not forced into updates on a Mac, which is another big reason why pros have used them in the past. You could remain connected without fear that something would randomly reboot on you - many times Windows machines pop up something as iā€™m working and you accidentally hit OK and boom! Work lost! Reboot! etc.

So, not really sure what your point is on that one.

Iā€™m just very lucky in that iā€™m coming to Windows at a point in time where the Win 10 experience is more akin to the original Mac/OSX experience - but the drivers and general infrastructure for Audio on windows is lacking vs Mac. CoreAudio is like ASIO but on an OS level so itā€™s very low latency, stable and flexible for aggregating.

Yeah the Mac Miniā€™s are great, but as a long term Mac Pro user i find it very hard to get my head around moving to a small box with limited expand-ability, plus i have PCIe requirements in the short term that i havenā€™t moved away fromā€¦ Hence the Windows route.

I was holding on for the new Mac Proā€™sā€¦ But man, I canā€™t warrant two of those to replace my 2009/2012 Mac Prosā€¦ I never upgraded to the trashcans due to their poor reputation, so got myself cornered from a business viewpoint. The question became $10k for two Mac Pro ā€˜baseā€™ machines, or try windows route. So far, itā€™s all been good. I think iā€™ll get the top Mac Mini and a decent Windows machine for me in the future now so i can keep one eye on the Mac marketā€¦ The only ray of light is the Mac Mini range.

But, as history shows us, they can go missing very quickly if it affects sales of iMac/Pros etc. I donā€™t think the current powerful Mac Miniā€™s will remain a longterm fixture, sadly. Apple let them stagnate before.

I also had a hard time perceiving the macmini as a serious audio workstation. But now that I have it, my MacPro isnā€™t getting much use for audio. If you want PCIe in the same box as your cpu, then obviously itā€™s not the right solution. But, these days thatā€™s an unusual requirement in an audio workstation.

Are you using one of those new T1 chip minis with Cubase Pro? Any issues?

Have you pushed it much? Iā€™m just concerned with summer months and the CPU gasping for air in such a small case.
My MacBookā€™s always struggle in the heat with the work going through them and are hot to touch, but my Mac Proā€™s have just been amazing for years and years - no matter how many hours a day, or the ambient heat.

And yeah PCIe is old hat i guess, but iā€™m stuck on 2012 Tech, and it still runs great and fulfills my needsā€¦ I donā€™t really want to overhaul it all because Apple want to push me into a small box. With a windows machine i feel that iā€™ve got control of my hardware again for the foreseeable future. And now Catalina has thrown things up in the air a little, iā€™m kinda glad that itā€™s not a primary concern of mine as i have a lot of legacy software that i run for external hardware.

I turned off the time server, which supposedly helps. I know some people have had problems, but for whatever reason, itā€™s been ok for me.

That was a concern of mine also. Iā€™ve pushed it very much :slight_smile:. Iā€™ve run heavy duty video animation renders. Full utilization of all cores for hundreds of hours uninterrupted. The cpu never throttled down. I canā€™t speak to whether it will last as long as my trashcan macpros. Those are very effective chimneys, but I havenā€™t seen any evidence that the temperature at the components in the macmini is excessive.

Threads like this made me very optimistic for the 2019 mac mini, so much that I bought two of the most powerful ones available, 6 core with 64GB of RAM, and tried them for a year as VEPro slave machines. Unfortunately they just doesnā€™t handle the thermal load well. These are the 3rd generation of Mac Minis Iā€™ve owned, and all have had the same problem: about once a day under a consistent 60%+ CPU load they will overheat and throttle - some Apple software will know to expect this, but VEPro doesnā€™t like it, and will stutter audibly or sometimes crash, usually crashing your Cubase session on your master machine along with it if it goes down. If you give them a ā€œbreakā€ or restart them about halfway through the day, you can avoid this, but this is difficult to remember to do especially when pushing for deadlines.

I never had this problem with running VEPro on PC with adequate cooling, and all major composersā€™ studios I worked in ran PC VEPro slaves, but they are loud so I am building an equipment room in my new studio so I can run a PC tower or two for VEPro duties.