Mac OS 14 Sonoma and Cubase

Apple is pretty notorious for not fixing bugs that have been reported in beta versions (or only fixing them in later releases). As others have pointed out, it is what it is. If you rely on your operating system to make money, don’t jump on every update immediately and exercise due diligence when updating (e.g. always check forums like this first)

1 Like

The problem for me is that I have an RME interface and RME points finger to problems with that on Apples Ventura and that is should work better in Sonoma. So I would like to see if that is true, but if Cubase does not play ball it will not work anyway. So it is a catch22 situation…

1 Like

So it could be that Intel has an issue but Apple Silicon does not. It’s a different code base so its possible that is where the differences can be found.

I’ve found Macos 14 slightly better than the last OS in my testing. A little more snappy and i can push it a bit further in terms of plugin/track count.

I only have it on a test machine, it will not hit my main machine for 3 or 4 months or more depending on testing.

This is a bit strange. I’ve held off updating to Sonoma on my M2 MacBook Pro because of these reported graphics issues. I just opened Cubase (12.052) on my old i9 MacBook Pro and it seemed to work fine - no graphical issues with the interface or with any of the effects I loaded onto a channel.

I updated Cubase on the i9 machine to 12.070 and the same thing. No graphics problems on Cubase or any VST effects. Right now I’m staring at the big red button which says ‘Do not be a fool and upgrade to Sonoma right now on your main machine’ and bit by bit my hand is edging closer…

Steve.

2 Likes

I’m not updating my main machine. I need to test every plugin and know why some machines work and others do not. That might take a few weeks to test.

It could be because I do not have graphics acceleration ticked in cubase. Who knows. I turned it off a long time ago because it was messing with Outputs Movement Plugin.

Good point. For what it’s worth, disabling or enabling graphics acceleration made no difference to Cubase on my i9 machine.

I’m going to be sensible and wait awhile before considering going to Sonoma on my Apple silicon MacBook.

Steve.

2 Likes

There’s been a few reports of Sonoma Intel issues so far, I’m keeping my 2018 Mini on Ventura I think and just using that nowadays to finish the Intel games I still have going on it hah.

Not a damn thing changed on my M2 Pro except the look of my desktop. Even my 24 year old Emagic AMT8 is still working. No graphics issues, no plugin issues (so far), nothing. Literally picked up where Ventura left off and got working.

2 Likes

Hi there, I had a hard afternoon rolling back to -Ventura- but now everything is fine again!

After this brutal experience, for a newbie like me in the Apple world (just bought the Mac 2 weeks ago) I turned off the automatic update and made my first Backup.

I do not rememer, having such an issue with my windows computer and software updates for the last 12 years…
You never stop learning…

3 Likes

It helps to have a good backup program like SuperDuper that will make a image copy of your entire hard drive. It works much faster than Time Machine if you have to do a restore. Also, what I have found is each upgrade I do a fresh install of the OS, I do not “upgrade” . Another software I like is Forklift 4, if you are coming from Windows it is a good software to replace “finder” on the mac as it is more like windows explorer that you are used to.

2 Likes

Thanks Garymusic, I will try both of them!

I almost always just wait until the x.3 version of a new macOS version before updating, it’s safest and usually Apple has most compatibilty issues ironed out by then as well 3rd parties like Steinberg have usually had time to update software by then. Ventura is still receiving security updates there’s no real rush to update.

Speaking of updates. There are quite a few rumors around about Steinbergs shop down and Cubase 13 that suggest that Cubase 12 will be dropped and not ever updated to support Sonoma. So seems like waiting is the thing to do.

This is what Cubase 10.5 looks like on Sonoma… It’s not very practical for working…

3 Likes

Thank you for showing this. Looks like the kind of obvious flaw that I expect Steiny should have detected in the beta. Will be interesting to see if there will be a fix for 12 or if they will just push for Cubase 13.

How would Steinberg detect that? That’s Cubase 10.5, which hasn’t been supported or updated for a few years now.

1 Like

Although I’m using Cubase 12.07 and not 10.5, I would still be interested to know what flavour of Mac you’re using this on - intel or Apple silicon?

Steve.

Ohh. Missed the 10. I thought it was 12.

It’s an M1, therefore Apple Silicon.
Sorry GearNostalgia. Yes, it’s the 10th, not the 12th… But I’ll upgrade to the latest one soon.
But I also talked about it because it’s a pretty nice bug. Although very disturbing…

2 Likes

Thanks, good to know. It’s interesting to me to see that some with intel Macs are reporting no problems and some are reporting problems, and exactly the same with M1 and M2. I’ve put Sonoma on my intel Mac and it seems to be absolutely fine, no graphical anomalies. I’m holding off on my Apple silicon machine for now.

Steve.

Yeah Im holding off on my 2018 Intel and keeping that on Ventura. I’ve seen reports of issues with the Intel models in general, so I think I’ll stay safe with that one (and keep it as my ‘gaming’ Mac for GOG games and whatnot)…

Sonoma so far is great on the M2 Pro Mini. Even my old AMT8 still works like it did in 2000. I upgraded day 1 and just picked right up where I left off and got to work.

1 Like