Mac OS compatibility question

I’m interested in updating to Cubase Pro 10, but my 2009 Mac Pro cannot be OS updated beyond El Capitan 10.11.6. Can someone tell me if Cubase 10 can run on Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan? Thank you.

Running it on my early-2009 Mac Pro, 10.11.6. It seems to work okay so far but I really haven’t had a chance to really work with. I loaded a track I’m working on currently with 15-20 tracks and several virtual synths and it loaded and played back without a hitch.

Keezix:

You need to determine if your Mac Pro is a 4,1 or 5,1 model. If it is 5,1 it will run Sierra or higher just fine. If it is a 4,1 machine you can upgrade the EFI/firmware up to 5,1. Apple changed the CPU sockets somewhere mid 2009 and updated those models (and later) to 5,1 status. In fact, the earlier CPUs can run Sierra and beyond. The bottleneck is that Apple’s installers won’t permit Sierra to install if they encounter a 4,1 machine.

Google: 4,1 to 5,1 firmware update; or start reading here:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,852.0.html

The upgrade software is out there. I know this for a fact. My Mac was originally a 4,1 Nehalem dual quadcore machine and I updated the firmware to 5,1 without any issues and have been running Sierra on it for well over 2 years. Cubase 10 runs on it just fine. If you are running any 3rd party “helper” apps like mouse drivers or file assists like Default Folder, you will have to upgrade them along with anything else you have that isn’t Sierra compatible.

I only ask to not ask me for help if you take this on. Do the homework, be patient and it will work. However, if your machine is a 3,1 model, you may be out of luck.

Thanks much for your very informative response! I already know that my machine is a 4,1. I’ll take it from here and check out the links!
I’d also like to thank “gtrdan” for his response. Also quite helpful.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out. Just be methodical and patient with the process.

Hi Weasel and others,

I have a 3,1 MacPro 8 core. I read there is a High Sierra Patcher that can let you install High Sierra, but I haven’t heard yet from anyone who has done this and updated to C10.
I’m currently on El Capitan with C 8. And would love to do the update to C10.10.

LG

Hi Weasel and others,

I have a 3,1 MacPro 8 core. I read there is a High Sierra Patcher that can let you install High Sierra, but I haven’t heard yet from anyone who has done this and updated to C10.
I’m currently on El Capitan with C 8. And would love to do the update to C10.10.

LG

Do the homework, be patient and it will work. However, if your machine is a 3,1 model, you may be out of luck. Thanks for your advice))

So far it appears to be working. I haven’t tried to do anything very taxing yet though like scoring music with lots of tracks.
I’ve only edited, so far (audio for videos - usually 2 tracks).
But I did plan to do some scoring to see how that works out.

AS you can see from my info at the bottom of all my posts, it’s a 2008 mac pro which means it’s a 3,1. So far, I am ‘not’ 100% out of luck.
I’ll see how out of luck I am when I try larger projects, I’m sure. But as of now it launches and works as simple audio editor. Will explore features in the upcoming weeks/months and find out just how much (%) out of luck I truly am.
:stuck_out_tongue:
LG