Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan status update on compatibility

Thank you for the link Ed, it’s good to see in black and white where we stand.

One thing though, the knowledge article doesn’t address the compatibility and roadmap for v7.5.

I’m sure, like me, that there are a number of users running this reasonably recent version who want to use it for the foreseeable future.

Even a negative response that it will not be updated will be helpful.

Thanks!

Thanx Ed. I really look forward to an updated list that includes Cubase 8.5. It is declared “El Capitan” compatible. Does that include the versions of VST Connect SE (3.0.50.211), and the EuCon adapter (7.0.3.95), that comes with it?

Should be revised to show that EuCon drivers have been updated by Avid for 10.11 compatibility.

Cubase 8.5 is compatible. Please note that we do not list all new products that have been released after the OS release date.
It’s mentioned in the article: " For newer products, check the corresponding product pages and the system requirements on supported operating systems."

I’ll check the status of the Eucon and VST Connect as I haven’t received any final confirmation.

(sorry about my english)
Cubase 8.5 on El Capitan is very slow response. everything feel heavy.
And I do not think that the cause of my computer (My computer is top of the line setting iMac late 2015 4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB ram, AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB).

compared with my slower macbook pro with Yosemite, the cubase 8.5 is very faster in every way.

i wish it will be better on the next minor update soon.

I’ve just updated to El Capitan - Mac OS X 10.11.1 - after installing driver for my Steinberg UR44 audio interface (Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.7). And Cubase Pro 8.5 is running fine - and faster.

Link to driver: http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_hardware/Yamaha_Steinberg_USB_Driver/Mac/1.9.7/YSUSB_V197_Mac.zip

With all due respect, your assessments of software development are not true. You can have all three. It’s called Agile software development. When used in concert with good practices like TDD, you get all of those things. You do have to prioritize the 3 based on what customers are asking for (see this thread), but good software practices and process dictate that you are managing a healthy mix of all three.

Oh, I agree. In a world where you control your own future, e.g., Apple, Microsoft, etc. because you own the product, and therefore the underlying markets, and are not under pressure, you can certainly do that. But in a non-ideal world, where you are dependent on surfing on top of Apple, e.g., then you should probably focus on your primary goal and not Apple’s goal, and from management’s point of view, it’s more important to keep your company running than to be absolutely up to date with Apple.

Additionally, I’ve been in computers for a long time, starting in 1970, and I once worked for a company, now gone, which was one of Steinberg’s biggest competitors, so I’ve a good idea exactly what goes on in a company like Steinberg.

Finally, I’ve never understood the need to install new software on a perfectly good working system. :wink:

Also my experience. Did the same like Haraldsson meanwhile, couldn’t not resist :wink:

i would have thought that if your product absolutely depended on Apple and Microsoft then you would make it an absolute priority to stay up to date with them both?

Steinberg supposedly make products that run on Windows and OSX - their claim, not mine. Except for three months of every year they don’t.

It’s like being surprised when you find out New Year’s Day is on January 1st each year.

Hey guys

New on this forum, but a long time Cubase user. To the official Steinberg rep that commented earlier that Cubase 8.5 is El Capitan compatible… er… guess again. I’m using a late 2013 iMac, 3.1GHz Quad‑core Intel Core i7, with 16gigs of Ram and 500gigs of SSD storage. Did a clean reinstall today. No time machine backup or anything like that. Totally clean slate. Updated to the latest version of El Capitan and installed Cubase 8.5. I also installed the latest driver for my Orion 32 interface. (Which has been stupidly stable since day one.)

To make a long story short…

CUBASE 8.5 AND EL CAPITAN IS A COMPLETE DISASTER!!!

Cubase seems to work fine at first. But when you start importing samples in the conventional way (File → Import), then all hell breaks loose. Even if the format of the sample and the project is exactly the same, playback starts to lag, stretch, and distort. Imagine the worst kind of bit crushing. Well, that’s how it sounds. And it just gets worse and worse, until you restart Cubase. Ive never experienced anything like it in all of the years that I’ve used Cubase.

Also, there is another bug. Before, I ran Cubase 7.5 within Mavericks. There, when you import a sample the conventional way (File → Import), in the window that pops up, with the forward and backwards arrows in that window, you were able to navigate into and out of folders on your computer easily. Go a level in, no problem, just use the arrows in that window to navigate out again. In Cubase 8.5 this doesn’t seem to be possible? The arrows are greyed out! It opens the last folder you visited, and if you want to go a layer back, you literally have to go to the drop down menu of the search window and search for the original folder! This is driving me INSANE! It’s the same for navigating between projects. Open one project. Then try to open another. The same folder structure pops up, but the arrows in the search window are greyed out. Again, you have to use the drop down menu to navigate back to the original folder. This is nuts.

I am a professional user. So this whole scenario is a real pain in the backside for me. Also, the fact that I still can’t get Cubase to use my whole screen is just ridiculous. I mean, how hard can that be to implement??

Hey Guys.

Further to my previous post. Today I ran some more tests and the situation is unchanged. What a nightmare. I just opened a session. Without doing anything. If you just play the session back a few times, eventually the whole thing starts to play back in a distorted / bit crushed kind of way, which gets progressively worse and worse. Then when you quit the session and minimise Cubase, and play an audio file outside of Cubase, you hear the same effect. So I was thinking maybe it’s my interface (Antelope Orion 32). But as soon as you quite Cubase, the problem goes away and files play back normally, without changing anything on the interface.

This is clearly a Cubase 8.5 / El Capitan problem. Steinberg… er… please help??? :frowning:

Also, I should mention that it’s not a computer processing problem. When the aliasing / bit crushing effect starts, Activity Monitor shows no significant spikes.

The final serious problem that I’ve encountered, is when you set a loop area (in the new Cubase 8.5 it shows up in purple) - well how on earth do you redraw or take the loop area away now? You literally have to go outside of the purple area and redraw it somewhere else. Usually you could just however with your cursor towards the top of the loop area. Then when your cursor become a pencil, you just clicked and the loop area would disappear completely. That seems to be TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE in Cubase 8.5. Like I said, you have to go outside of the looping area completely and redraw the loop.

If this is how looping now works, then I’m going to have to move to a new DAW. This is going to drive me completely bonkers.

Kristiaan. You don’t say what kind of hardware - audio interface - you are using. For Steinberg/Yamaha hardwere you need to download the latest driver, Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver v1.9.7 for OS X

Link: http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_hardware/Yamaha_Steinberg_USB_Driver/Mac/1.9.7/YSUSB_V197_Mac.zip

Kristiaan, the Antelope website does not list Mac OS X El Capitan as a supported operating system for the Orion 32.
http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/support/downloads

Have you asked them for any info because I cannot reproduce this distorted sound here with other (not only Steinberg) audio interfaces.

FYI - http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-el-capitan-finally-ready-for-prime-time-and-heres-how-to-have-a-trouble-free-upgrade/#ftag=YHFb1d24ec

So the catch phrase needs to be altered to ‘It just works, … eventually!’

Of course for some people facts are a nuisance that can’t compete with the frustrations of youth and entitlement.

Is there still going to be a pre 8.5 update?

Can’t answer that. I just realised that the latest Cubase 8.0 works perfectly fine on my system.