Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan status update on compatibility

My 2 cents:

Can anyone say, “first world problems”?

Even when Steinberg announces compatibility with El Capitan, there’s still gonna be lots of bugs… with users asking, demanding “when, when, when?”

This is the nature of digital.

Your VERY BEST BET and HOPE of having a fulfilling, creative, musical experience is to NOT upgrade. Stick with what works… wait for everyone else to test… then eventually swoop in 6 months later on your Joy plane and upgrade.

I tell you this from experience. I’m tired of banging my head against the wall to fix bugs. Bugs caused by the new OS, bugs caused by Cubase, bugs caused by third party plugins. Every new thing installed somehow f***s with what was already working… and then you try to find who’s to blame… and half the time you end up wrong.

Those of you who bought a new computer with El Capitaln, well that sucks. Downgrade to Yosemite for 6 months, and enjoy.

What the digital world doesn’t want you to know is that the people who upgrade right away when a product is “released” actually ARE the beta testers. You are buying products still in beta, though claimed to be ready. And so, if Steinberg is to blame, it is because they are playing the game like everyone else. Or rather, in this case, NOT playing the game which makes them look slower, relatively speaking.

Agreed, although where do you draw the line? Assuming you’re not living in poverty or a war zone is it acceptable to complain about anything? If your shiny new car gets keyed by the local sh1tbag should you just swallow it? “Never mind, at least I don’t have (insert terminal condition here)”? Of course you don’t. Everyone has a sliding scale of what constitutes a real concern or just irrelevant fluff.

I think you’re generally spot-on but like so many other posters seem to suggest that their Mac’s primary or indeed only use is Cubase. If your Mac is 100% for Cubase then you’d be daft to upgrade to El Capitan until Steinberg get their act together but lots have other equally as compelling and valid uses for their computers.

Care to shed some light on how you did that? I just got a new mbp preinstalled with El Capitan which I was told can’t be downgraded

As long as your specific model of MBP was released when Yosemite was still current then you should have no issues. Note I said your model of MBP, not your MBP.
You just need to download a copy of the Yosemite software from the Mac app store and create a bootable USB installer - How to make a bootable OS X 10.10 Yosemite install drive | Macworld
This will involve wiping your MBP’s HDD completely of course. Even if your model of MBP is so new that El Capitan is all it’s ever known you should still be able to do it, as long as there’s no hardware in it that specifically needs El Capitan.

Well, to add the salt to the injury, Apple is already testing its next-generation operating systems, including iOS 10 for mobile devices and iPads, and OS X 10.12, code named “Fuji”.
As I mentioned before, Apple provides FREE beta OS’s to anyone interested to test their apps at least 5 months in advance of official release. Obviously Sternberg doesn’t participate or care to get involved and the results are obvious…

As I mentioned before, Apple provides FREE beta OS’s to anyone interested to test their apps at least 5 months in advance of official release.

Well, I’d like to point out that if one tests their app on a beta OS, they’re just beta-testing the OS. And that’s not a particularly great use of time and money. Wouldn’t a smart company wait until the OS is nearly out of beta before beginning its own round of testing? And then, who knows how long it should take for problems to be sniffed out and fixed? It depends on the number, size, and difficulty of the problems… In my own app development experience, estimating a completion time is a total fool’s errand. Truly.

Well, we ARE in the first world, so what is your point exactly?

When your internet connection is down, do you just shrug it off because that’s a “first world problem” and others don’t have food/shelter/etc?

Is it that difficult for people to understand that not everybody uses their computer JUST for music/Cubase?

That other factors might necessitate updating, from programming dependencies if you’re a developer down to the simple fact that you bought a new Mac and it comes with El Capitan installed.

A “smart company” wanting to minimize expenses, yes.

A smarter company wanting to minimize the inconvenience of its paid users, no.

Developers regularly test on beta OSes. By the time the OS is announced in the WWDC in the first place, the developer betas have most of the changes and pieces in place. Public betas even more so. And in the GM, everything is in place.

We’re not on that now though. We’re 1.5 month past the stable release, and 2 weeks past the first point update.

The funny thing is that an update to the software to support the new OS would also benefit THEM (the people who stayed with Yosemite), or at the very least will cause them no harm at all.

And they still feel the need to chime-in on a thread where people complain about the software they paid for not working on the new OS.

We don’t want your opinion and you use cases, nor your BS advice. This is a thread about people seeking to get Cubase 8 to work on El Capitan. If you don’t have El Capitan installed, this is not your problem, so buzz off.

The same thing, really, isn’t it?

What’s your problem. Who are you insulting? Me or yourself? I don’t know what your problem is, but please refrain from insulting comments like this.

More interresting than such arguing, is that apple said El Caps main new feature is system optimization. Does those who already HAVE installed cubase on El Capitan see any difference in actual use?

What do you mean? It won’t even start. I can’t even re-install as even the installer crashes. So far, Steinberg is the only company left on my list who hasn’t gotten up to speed. I wonder what major thing Apple did to so mess all of this up?

just got 3rd El Capitan Beta and Cubase Artists still crashes before it can load. just fyi

Yeah, beta’s are exactly for testing your software beforehand. That’s a stated reason to get the beta. It’s getting really late to still have this issue. Even Line6 stuff works now. It should be noted that in their case it was a beta release from Apple and not Line6 that made it work. I suspect that possibly it may be out of Cubase’s hands as it was for Line6. Whatever built in driver or system resource that no longer exist may be a huge deal to work around. Would be nice if Cubase was more up front about it. Line6 didn’t test during beta either and were caught on El Cap release day - oops. But it has been a month and Cubase should at least communicate to set our expectations. Thinking about asking for my money back. If we go too long we will learn to live without their product. It’s too bad.

I contacted support and asked for an ETA on El Capitan compatibility, and got the following response a few hours ago.

"I’m sorry but we have not started supporting Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan yet: http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/important-information-regarding-os-x-1011-3359.html

I’m sorry but there is not an ETA on when we will be supporting El Capitan. This is a joint development issue with Apple, which is part of the reason there is not a specific ETA on when it will be supported."

Yes, that’s because I wasn’t arguing against you, I was just adding on what you said.

Neither, it’s aimed (as the previous paragraphs allude to) at people who don’t belong in this thread (e.g. because they haven’t updated etc) and they feel justified to chime in a thread about people complaining about the incompatibilities, and school them for not waiting for the update etc, as if they know better when others needs to update.

Hi stevo, I have no idea why it will not even start on your mac, I installed elements on two different imacs and both works as on yosemite. No faster/slower that I can messure. I have ofcourse not tried on my production mac with Cubase 8pro. With the imac setups I havent seen the problems that steinberg are dealing with, so I can only asume it has to do with some soundcard/cubase/os x incompatible stuff. I have Saffire 40 soundcard and that is already compatible with el cap. Personally I dont have any reason to upgrade except for the speed increase in the OS, if there are any.

I have Artist 8 on a one year old Macbook Pro. El Cap and Cubase hate each other in may case.

I can’t find any reason whatsoever to upgrade to El Cap unless of course you want the new emoticons - I think they have the middle finger now. I do blame Apple for most of this mess - I’ve been upgrading machines since I got into Macs again and never ever have I had so many things broken like this. But by this time, It’s now on Steinberg in my mind.

On my other macbook, I’m still on Yosemite, so I’m not dead in the water. But then I do this as non-profit work - not making a living off it.

everytime a post to the thread pops up I think it might be the El Capitan fix!

Sorry! I know the feeling.