[Mac OS X] Patch addressing issues with USB-2 audio devices

Depending on the setup, it may happen that there is no audio playback available when working on Mac OS X 10.6.x or when using a USB-2 audio interface. In addition to that problems might occur when changing the sample rate and even general compatibility issues between software and hardware can come up.

Affected are:

Cubase 6/Artist 6.0.0
Cubase Essential 5.1.x
Cubase AI 5.1.x
Cubase LE 5.1.x
Cubase 5.5.x
Cubase Studio 5.5.x

In case you are working with the aforementioned setup and one of these applications, please download the patch file.

ftp://ftp.steinberg.net/Download/Hardware/CoreAudio2ASIO_Patch/CoreAudio2ASIO.zip

Please note that all upcoming updates (e.g. Cubase 5.5.3 and Cubase 6.0.1) will include this fix and thus this patch file won’t be needed anymore.

Just wondering, Ed. Why isn’t this and the other 4 or 5 locked official Steinberg announcements, placed above in the Announcements section? Isn’t that where they’re supposed to go?

It’s not an announcement but rather a tech sticky on a topic that’s only valid on certain systems.

I ran into an ASIO driver problem with the E-MU 0404 USB and Cubase 6 when I upgraded from a Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro to a Quad core MBPro (Both Snow Leopard at 10.6.6). It took 2 days of no sound to realize that the new MBP laptops come with 64-bit kernels enabled as default and that meant that my drivers were kaput. Pressing the 3 and the 2 keys together on a boot puts the Apple in 32-bit kernel and extn mode which fixes the driver problem.

Thank goodness all is well again. I hope this helps others with the same problem, it’s a real time waster.