macbook pro+yamaha n12+cubase AI5

ok here´s the thing…

i use macbook pro with cubase AI5 on yamaha n12.so far worked perfectly.
until i tryed recording our last show live.directly-7 chanells,all microphones, except bass which was plugged in directly through the amp,on the 8th(hi-z) channel.
i used the n12 multichannel template in cubase AI5, as always.i did this before with 7 mics,for demos,plus whole bunch of vst plugins runing on drums and vocals,with no problems,so i guess its not a CPU thing and all that.
all drivers are in order,firewire and all,so are the connections.the buffer of the yamaha driver was set to the highest value just in case.
still i got the cracle on the recording,as if it was set too low or something.
what confuses me is that i did simmilar things with much lower value of the buffer,so im wondering whats the issue here.

any kind of help or suggestion would be very much appriciated…
thanks!

Is the crackle on every track/channel ?
ie. if you solo each one do they all have it ?

yes it on every channel, constantly.
as the sound gets louder,so does the cracle,on each channel.
and they are not overdriven in any moment…and to add that the noise is only on the recording…the live sound on the gig was pefectly clean.

anyway,i think this might give someone some idea :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/8xlb8kg4t5dbsk5/example.wav

i uploaded a piece here,so you can check out and maybe see what could be happening…
it´s not in any way tampered with,just exported from cubase as a wav file.it´s like that through the whole thing.

Sounds like interference , or possibly a ground loop problem to me .SOS Past Articles back to January 1994 now online!

Was it a different venue , with neon/flourescent lighting close to any cables ?

I hope someone with more knowledge will chip in , now that this post will bump this thread .
Sorry I didn’t help before there was a problem with the download the other day but it seems to be working now .
Cool vocals :sunglasses:

Hey man,thanks for the answer!

I got some reading to do on that link you sent,it´s pretty comprehensive…may be just what i need,cause i don´t have very much experience with this kind of problems.

thanks

Well by coincidence my new N12 arrived yesterday . I consulted the manual .

See the Troubleshooting page in the N12 manual ( p 53 ). Under the Noise section it says ;
" There may be a noise-producing device ( such as a device containing a power inverter , etc. ) near the cables . Move all cables away from any possible sources of noise . "
-Page 6 ; " Do not use the device in the vicinity of a TV, radio, stereo equipment, mobile phone , or other electric devices . Doing so may result in noise , both in the device itself and in the TV or radio next to it "

• Then page 8 , concerning the N12 's own power adaptor ; " Make sure that there is adequate distance between the power adaptor and the mixer . Otherwise, noise may be generated . "
  • And see the section on use of balanced cables versus unbalanced cables . ( Page 9 ).

:slight_smile:

well,i guess congratulations are in order :smiley:

im curious-what happened with the old one-or you´re using two of them…?
because i love that mixer,and use it every day at home even,so i´d hate to hear that it breaks down or something.
mine is a year old and i cant imagine my life without it . :unamused:
it´s great in every way,especially for playing live,the sound is perfect.
(well except for my little predicament)

by the way ,in my home enviroment i have no problems at all so far,though im not using all the channels and mics to record etc.,like with the whole band.

ok
cheers

No , this is my first ( and only ) N12 . My decision to get one was swayed when I spotted a deal that offered a bundle that included the full Cubase 6 for £1 extra .

I think your problem sounds like interference more than a ground loop . Try to replicate the physical set-up you had at the live gig . For example was the mains transformer sat on the table next to the mixer ?
If you can’t replicate the problem at home the problem could be at the live venue .
You may have to eliminate one possible source of the interference at a time till you can pin-point the culprit .
Failing that an extreme measure could be to make a lead ( as in the metal ) screen to shield the mixer . ( Same idea as in the inside of the control cavity of electric guitars , where copper foil is used ).
A handy source of lead foil is the bags sold in photography shops for putting film in to prevent x-ray damage at airports .

Good luck :slight_smile: