Mackie Control Universal (MCU) compatibility with Cubase 12 & macOS Monterey

Hi all! I have an old Mackie Control Universal (a MIDI fader controller, firmware 2.1.2), bought around 2008, NOT the Pro version. After not having used it in quite a while, I realized that it no longer works with my current, fully updated system (MacOS 12.4, Cubase 12, MacBook Pro 2021): Its LED display no longer reliably displays the values of the Cubase mixer as it should (only sometimes), and it frequently (but not always) appears to be in a messed-up state where it misinterprets or ignores my button presses.

Does anybody know whether this is actually still supposed to work with my new software and hardware, or is this beauty sadly incompatible and therefore ready for the trash?

Hi,

Do you use the old Mackie Control device from the Studio > Studio Setup, or do you use the new MIDI Remote?

In general, it should be compatible. Do you have the very old MIDI version? What MIDI device do you use to transfer the MIDI data (MIDI <> USB)?

Thanks for your reply, Martin. Thankfully, the problem has now been resolved – your encouragement that the device should indeed still work kept me going, and you indeed pointed me into the right direction.

I do have the very old MIDI version of the Mackie MCU (i.e., counted via MIDI cables, my Mackie does not have a USB port), and it appears that my MIDI<>USB-C adapter cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KZ3X59K) was to blame.

I now switched to using the MIDI inputs of my new Focusrite 4i4 audio interface, and the problems disappeared immediately. I can imagine that that faulty adapter couldn’t handle the data that Cubase sends to the MCU to initialize it, which is supposed to position the MCU’s sliders to the right position and initializes its display; maybe it is too much MIDI too fast

BIG kudos for Steinberg to still support my Mackie Control Universal, even though it is about 15 years old!!!

Cheers, Matthias

To other people coming here looking for tips for their Mackie MCU – this is how you set it up in Cubase 12:

(1) Go to Studio → Studio Setup
 → +Add Device → Mackie Control
(2) Then in Studio → Studio Setup → Mackie Control → MIDI Input / Output, select your MIDI interface connecting to your Mackie MCU, then click on “Reset”. Your Mackie’s sliders and display should now automatically move/adjust to the position given by your Cubase project, if you have it open.
(3) In Studio → Studio Setup → MIDI Port Setup, find that same MIDI interface in the list and unselect “In ‘All MIDI Inputs’”. This will prevent the Mackie’s MIDI signals to Cubase from being recorded when you record MIDI in a MIDI track whose inputs are set to “All MIDI”.
(4) Close the Studio Setup with “OK”
(5) In Studio → More Options → Mackie Control, which decides which of the MCU’s buttons does what, I selected “Compatibility”. My Mackie MCU is NOT the Pro version (it is really old), so Compatibility mode seemed to do exactly what is printed on my Mackie. For the Pro you may want to choose the other option (“Cubase”); try for yourself.

1 Like

Hello Matthias,
I’m in the same situation and would like to be able to use my old Mackie Control with C12.
Unfortunately, when I search on Mackie in the devices (studio setup / add device), there is no script for the Mackie control.
I can see Mackie as a manufacturer, but there are no sub-options.
Any chance you could export the script ?

(or @Martin.Jirsak is it anywhere to find on the website ? I looked in the FTP archive, but couldn’t find it)

Thanks!
Philippe

Just to be clear, you don’t see Mackie here?

2 Likes

Indeed, you should see “Mackie Control” here, as shown in mchantzi’s screenshot, even if your MCU is not connected. Your use of the word “script” is also a sign that there is some kind of misunderstanding on your end somewhere. Are you even going to the correct menu option?

1 Like

Apologies, I do see it now :man_facepalming:
I was looking in the wrong menu. All is well now.

Hi Martin, i also have an old Mackie control (midi version) that i canÂŽt get to work with my Cubase 11. May i ask you to give some advice? I have selected the mackie control option in the Cubase studio setup, as well as the compatibility in the studio setup more options menu. in fact, i don`t get any connection beween the Mackie control and Cubase. Is there a driver missing? or do i do something else wrong? if you have the time for an answer i would apreciate it, thanks. Warm regards, Matthias

Hi Matthias,

You have the MIDI version. Where are the MIDI cables connected to? Use this other device as the MIDI Input and Output for the Mackie Device in Cubase, please.

Hi Martin, ich benutze einen einfachen Midi connector. In/Out vom Mackie control geht zum USB Eingang. Dieser Connector funktioniert mit meinem Nord Keyboard tadellos.
In den Cubase 11 Studio Einstellungen habe ich das Mackie control angewĂ€hlt und das Midiinterface bei Midieingang und Ausgang angewĂ€hlt. Ich bekomme kein Midisignal ins Cubase rein, wenn ich z.B. einen Fader am Mackie control bewege. Brauche ich noch einen extra Treiber fĂŒr das Mackie? Falls es hilfreich wĂ€re, wĂŒrde ich gerne einen Screenshot schicken, aber ich weiss nicht wie das hier im Chat geht. Vielleicht hast Du einen Tipp. So oder so, danke fĂŒr deine Hilfe. Liebe GrĂŒĂŸe, Matthias Keul

Hi Matthias,

Make sure the Input/Output is connected correctly, please.

Attach a screenshot of the Studio Setup > Mackie Control page, please.

Hi Martin, hier der Screenshot vom Studio Setup menu. LG, Matthias

Hi,

If the MIDI cables are connected to the USB MIDI Interface, then it’s OK. Are you sure, you connected the Out from the Mackie to In of the USB MIDI Interface and vice versa, please?