Macro Commands can delete LOCKED regions

Nuendo 5.1 Mac

Macro commands can delete audio events regardless of track LOCK or region LOCK state.

This is very dangerous as if the logic of the macro fails, track selections can change and locked regions can be destroyed.

Also undo sometimes does not undo exactly what a macro has executed. This obviously can lead to data “loss” very quickly.

Upon attempting to find exact repro steps I am not getting consistent results, therefore need to do some more research, so until I do get exact repro I will hold off posting steps.

Is this issue known by chance?

I have not ever come across this, and do use macro’s daily for editing purposes (mainly trimming loads of regions at once, lining up / reconforming to markers etc.) This is an interesting potential bug you have come across. I might try lock some regions, and run macros that have delete commands in them, just to see if I can find something that is easily repeatable.

Cheers, Brendan.

Can you tell us which Macro commands your are using?

Fredo

I maybe wrong, but I think this may be related.

I suppose doing the macro manually, if there was a mistage made, the audio would not get deleted, but once in a macro, things change.

The reason I type this here is because flatten audio acts strange wheh set into a macro or sole key command. If you were to menu navigate to flatten audio, if the event wasn’t altered, it would be greyed out. If you select the same audio event and hit the key command for flatten audio, it will process it.

Fredo,
I’m using a custom macro with maybe 15 commands in it. After experiencing the issue, I tried the macro in a new session but did not experience it, ie was unable to repro.

But yes, the macro would process as expected but when it ran out of audio regions on that track the logic brought it down to other tracks that where locked which is where i discovered it was deleting regions even though they were supposed to be locked.

I also noticed if I performed the macro too fast (by holding down the associated key command) it would drop commands from within the marco as if there were some sort of race condition occurring.

That is a known issue, but it has nothing to do with you performing the macro too fast.
Sometimes the Macro itself “outperforms” the computer by chaining up the commands faster than the computer can “understand”. The trick to apply is add non-critical commands in those spaces. Like “go left” and then “go right” (whatever doesn’t break the Macro) , just to give the computer the time to finish the previous process.

Fredo