Maintaining dynamics after an articulation change

Imagine some notes with a default/natural articulation, followed by a note using a legato articulation. The Expression Map sends the first four notes to MIDI channel 1, and the subsequent legato note to MIDI channel 2. Dynamics are changing during this sequence of notes, as can be seen on Dorico 3.1’s fabulous new dynamics track.

Question: Once the articulation change occurs, does Dorico re-send the current dynamic information so that the new virtual instrument (the one on channel 2) inherits the same dynamic level as the previous notes, which had a different articulation?

Attached is a visual for my question:

Yes, that’s the idea, anyway.

Thanks Daniel. I’m currently not experiencing that. In the case demonstrated by my screenshot, the new (legato) articulation has an extremely low dynamic - probably reflecting whatever state the Kontakt instance was previously in - and only jumps in dynamic upon reaching that explicit “mf” you see a measure later in the timeline.

This suggests that the mechanism by which Dorico brings the new articulation up to date with respect to prevailing dynamic isn’t working in this case. If the logic did work it would go something like:

Upon encountering a change of articulation
Do whatever the Expression Map says to normally do upon changing to that articulation
If the Expression Map tracks dynamics for that articulation
then send $current_dynamic_level to whatever the Expression Map uses to track dynamics

… Which in the case above would mean sending a CC1=70 (or so, judging from the screenshot) to the Kontakt Instance following MIDI channel 2

Are you sure all of that is meant to happen? If so, any idea why it’s not happening in my case?

Ok, so it sounds like the problem here is that when you have an articulation that switches to a different channel, we need to explicitly re-send the dynamic.

Hi Paul. Yes, I think that’s necessary if dynamics are encoded as CC data. Depending on the configuration of destination plugins, whatever is listening to MIDI channel 2 may have no insight as to what’s happening on MIDI channel 1.

If dynamics are represented as velocity, then obviously this isn’t a problem.