Make a ruler that measures the duration of a piece. In minutes and seconds

make a ruler that measures the duration of a piece of music in the project (if the piece is not the only one in the project).
The piece may not be from the first bar.
This is important when there is a dialogue with the customer and changes are made:
I have 12 pieces of one big piece of music in my project. It is convenient for me to write several pieces in one project with one set of instruments.
The customer writes: in the 3rd number of the musical, at time 3.52 the drum must be is louder.
I now need a ruler, which can be seen on the third piece of music, and use it to find 3.52.
I need to know not only the duration of the part, but also within this part I need to navigate in time.
What is needed is not the duration of the cycle marker, but the ruler.

It might not be a full match to your needs butā€¦

You can create a Cycle marker. Its start position is the reference start position. Then you use the length value to get you where you need. Obviously the time format has to be set to minutes and seconds.

Alternatively you could use a minute&seconds ruler. Then go to Project Setup and enter the appropriate offset. It might take the same amount of time that it would take to have a dedicated ruler for this.

1 Like

At the marker cycle, we know the duration, start time, end time, but I need a ruler inside.
So that the beginning of the music was zero.
I know that it is possible to set the offset time.
But if the project has one piece of music, or the project is equal to a song - ok, maybe, but still inconvenient.
And if there are several passages in the project, this is already very inconvenient.
To understand the degree of inconvenience: For example, imagine that we do not have a ā€œsoloā€ button, but there is a ā€œmuteā€ button.
In this case, we can solo the desired track by clicking on the rest, unnecessary tracks, ā€œmuteā€.
Now you are suggesting me to do this: ā€œThen go to Project Setup and enter the appropriate offset.ā€
If there was a ruler, it would not be necessary to make a personal offset for each passage in the project.

As I wrote I wasnā€™t sure whether my response would be helpful in any way. Sorry that I wasted your time with my response. Didnā€™t mean to do that. Good luck.

This is, of course, amazing.
Iā€™m surprised no one needs a ruler.
You need a lot of different features. But is the ruler really the most unnecessary thing. With a ruler, we can know how long any passage, part, or element is anywhere. Not counting, damn it. I wrote, because once again such a ruler was needed.
Thank you for your attention.

We use cycle markers instead.

What you mean with this?
Cycle markers are insideā€¦
Create a dedicated marker track for all the pieces of music you need to separate. By clicking the cycle marker in the list, you can now navigate to the selected range.

In Nuendo you can choose additional information to show up on the labels. Iā€™m afraid, not in Cubase.

Hey friend! Iā€™m not up to calculations with an offset. I want to get to the right time of my fragments faster.
In the first post about this, when I created the topic, I showed a scenario for using such a ruler.
The cycle marker is completely different!
There is no meter inside the cycle marker in minutes/seconds from its left position, which could be zero, to other events within this fragment. At the same time, I also need a scale with quarters and bars. And the total time of the entire project is also needed. Suggesting that I calculate and make a shift is a mockery, because by the time you calculate and shift, you will already forget what you wanted.
You just need to make a ruller and thatā€™s it. Itā€™s obvious. Why be against. Itā€™s not redundant functionality. This is really needed. I even think maybe I did not explain enough what I want? Why does no one want to understand? Please read my first post where I explain the scenario. How to find quickly 1.52 in the third snippet? And after, for example, 2.06 in the seventh. Do an offset every time? Hope this isnā€™t a joke. Thank you for your attention.

Or use the command Set Timecode at Cursor

guys, can you carefully read what is written in my post?
I have a feeling that you read the first sentence and rush to answer without reading it. Or not understanding.
All that you offer - does not solve. This greatly lengthens the process. Therefore, I propose a new functionality. You convince me that it is not needed, that it is necessary to do this and that - while your proposals DO NOT SOLVE what is written about. Why temporary code from the beginning of the project? To calculate the offset again?

Iā€™m not your friend. Iā€™m just somebody.

And I didnā€™t write anything about calculating offsets.
You didnā€™t even try the cycle markers?
There is a marker list available that shows the duration for every cycle. It shows start and end positions as well.
And if you hover the mouse pointer over the marker, the tooltip shows the duration as well.

Can you do the same with our posts? Please?

hey somebody.
what I just read - just shows that you do not understand the problem.
You need to know not the duration of the fragment. And quickly hit 0.43 of this fragment. And right after that - at 2.56 of another fragment. Obviously, it would be nice if the cycle marker were graduated in seconds. So that its left position is zero. And another cycle-marker too. And fifth and seventh. Graduate the cycle marker and get the desired ruler. It is necessary to get not into the fragment, which is defined by the cycle-marker, but at the specific time of this fragment. uhā€¦

If youā€™re referring to the above, Iā€™m afraid you havenā€™t understood that suggestion. Possibly, you can try it so your criticism is more informed?

Guys, if you are used to wearing shorts over your head, then this is probably suitable for you. (this is humor, donā€™t be angry)
Indeed, with the Set Timecode at Cursor command, the global time of the project is shifted. And it needs to be unchanged. For example cinema. The project as some part of it with several fragments. We need a general timing, and each fragment separately. With the ability to hit at the right time for everyone. For example, at 0.23 of the first fragment, 1.28 of the fifth fragment.
Maybe itā€™s not a movie. This is an audiobook with chapters. Why you reject, I donā€™t understand. Support it. With such a ruler it will be absolutely more convenient.

I have been using Cubase since 1998.
I know about offset, I know about cycle markers and about set cursor. Iā€™m trying to offer the desired functionality. And you just donā€™t understand why. Iā€™m surprised again.
OK. Thank you.

You donā€™t have to insult othersā€™ intelligence to make your point. people are simply making suggestions to which youā€™re not obliged to respond. (whether or not youā€™re ā€˜just kiddingā€™)

Anyway, this is a very common request, so maybe it will be implemented at some point in the future.

Thanks, thanks, I got it.
There was no intention of offending anyone.
Indeed, you can get to the desired point of the fragment by MOVE the right edge of the cycle marker. Why didnā€™t anyone write?

Thank you all again. Thanks to you, one of the questions was solved. But grading the cycle marker would also be nice. Because then you wouldnā€™t have to move its right edge. This is important on a large display and when there are many fragments.

A solution is already available. It is in Nuendo.
There, the markers and marker tracks have much more functionality.

That makes me think you didnā€™t understand what I suggested.
I didnā€™t talk about the cycle itself.
You can store every cycle in a marker track. This generates an automatic list with cycle markers that you can open in a separate window. You can use the markers for navigation.

And you can assign key commands to the marker creation. That will speed up the workflow.

Select an event that is your fragment, hit P, the locators jump to beginning and end of the selection, create a new cycle marker and voila, the marker list shows you the start, the end and the duration.

Iā€™ll just bounce back that last comment right in your face. Start with the person in the mirror.

1 Like

First: ā€œUse length valueā€ is not the same as ā€œmove right edgeā€.
Secondly, it is not at all obvious that in order to get to the desired point, you need to move the right edge.
In general, I ideally represent a graduated scale. The same as the global ruler, only local.
I think there was a misunderstanding on both sides.
Thanks anyway. Looked in the mirror.

Thanks, I got it right away.
But itā€™s still not what I need.
I donā€™t need duration.
I need to hit the right time for each fragment.
How to find it quickly? Already found out.
Duration is an additional side feature that appears when such a ruler is available.
Thank you.