"Make Unbeamed" doesn't work in Write mode

I assigned “Make unbeamed” to the question mark key, which works in Engrave mode, but it doesn’t work in Write mode.

I’m not sure why, since I can “Make unbeamed” from the right-click menu. I just can’t use the key command.

Thoughts?

The question mark key is assigned to end gradual dynamic during note input. I’m not in front of it right now, but is it in the Write mode context, the note entry context or the global context? I suspect it’s conflicting.

Ah. Yes, that’s it.

Curious as to what other users have assigned to Make Unbeamed, or if anyone has suggestions for a workflow.

I’m doing a zillion mass settings, unmetered, so Beam Together and Make Unbeamed are going to be my close companions for the next week.

Revisiting this, as I can’t find a solution. I’ve assigned “Make Unbeamed” to the question mark, it’s not listed as a command when I right-click to the Beaming menu (and the key doesn’t work).

There aren’t any dynamics in that spot, so I don’t see why there would be a conflict.

@pianoleo are you saying I’ll need to edit the JSON? Not sure why that should be necessary.

There are a load of key commands in the factory JSON (within the application bundle/program files) that don’t announce themselves as a conflict yet are potential conflicts.

Have you tried assigning something other than ? ?

I have assigned it to something else (the pipe character, in this case), but I would prefer the question mark. I suppose that’s not something that can be overridden.

The message says that the conflicting command will take precedent when needed, but I just don’t understand why it’s needed here. Unless it’s because it’s a Write Mode thing.

Is that because / was the Speedy beam toggle in Finale? (question mark is just Shift + / after all) I have all my beam commands set up with the numpad / in combinations with Ctrl, Alt, etc.

Ha! Yes, it was subconscious until you pointed that out.

It’s all comin’ back,
it’s all comin’ back to me now…

1 Like

Hi Dan.
I chose shortcuts around b for beamings… Cmd-b for beam together, alt-b for unbeam, alt-ctrl-b for break beaming… Not sure it helps, but who knows?

2 Likes

I have a note that will not unbeam. It crosses the imaginary barline. I am fine with it, but need it to match a score I am replicating. I used Notation Unbeam, for example, and the panel at the bottom. The panel at the bottom just won’t let me pull the switch too unbeam. Any thoughts for my stubborn note?
It is a whole note, and it displaying as two quarter notes beamed together.

Maybe if you upload the file here (or just the problematic part) and someone can have a look at it and hopefully solve your problem.

Make Unbeamed unbeams the selected note from the notes immediately to its left and right.
Split beam removes the beam from the selected note to the note on its left - ie select the second of the two notes when using Split Beam.

Thank you, but I see this is standard behavior. If a note crosses the imaginary bar line it will be split and tied, like in 4/4, no matter what you do. This is probably going to be fine most of the time, but sometimes, if you have a quarter note, then a half note, you might want the half not to be un-split. The menu option for this (unbeam) does not seem to override. Look at the first measure of this project just as an example. Is there any way to make the half note just look like a half note without doing a drastic full project override of splitting notes at the midline? If not, I will live. Thanks.

EW_test.dorico (910.8 KB)

In 4/4 quarter-half-quarter will preserve the half note in the center of the measure, but once you add eighth notes (or triplets) into the mix, the half becomes tied quarters across the center of the measure.

IIRC Daniel has said something about looking to provide more options in this situation down the road.

Now that I have been able to see your actual notation, I can offer better advice than was in my original answer (based on what you had described as a beam actually being a tie, and a whole note actually being a half note).
In the first and third bars, after entering the triplet eighth notes (and exiting tuplet mode), press “O” (the letter O, not the number 0) for Force Duration, then “7” for half note, then the pitch of the note, followed by the quarter rest. Done!

Thanks! Sorry about the errors.

There are numerous options in Notation Options for Note Grouping which can automatically set the grouping without needing to Force Duration.

Another tip: when entering notes, if what is displayed is not exactly what you expect, keep entering notes. The notation may change after you complete the measure. (Hard to grasp initially, until you work with Dorico awhile. It’s also helpful to understand the concepts Dorico is based on. Watch several introductory videos, and seek out the First Steps tutorial.) Trust me, I’ve gone through your frustration myself (“WHY does this notation keep changing from what I entered???”)

Learn the underlying concepts. Set the notation options as desired. Learn the shortcuts too. It will be much faster than any other notation software available. There should be VERY FEW times you’ll need to use Force Duration. Oh, and know that changing those options (Notation Options/Note Grouping, etc.) automatically updates your score (and changes the notation as dictated by the Options), UNLESS Force Duration has been used. Set the options to reflect the most of your note grouping (or beaming) needs, then apply Force Duration or Beaming as needed in specific instances. If you find you have do to that consistently, there is probably an option to do it automatically.