Making a Dj Mix - How to do it in Cubase?

Hey :slight_smile:
I know that ableton live is the better option for making a dj mix, but i wonder if it´s possible
also in Cubase to mix tracks with different speeds together?
If it´s possible… please explain the easiest way to do it.
Thanks for any info and greets,
Andreas

Yes of course it is possible. There is even a “DJ EQ” in Cubase. you can time stretch and automate volume and effects so why not?

from my experience, it would probably be a bit more work to warp the tracks in Cubase than Live like you already touched on.

DJ EQ | Effects and Plug ins Included in Cubase - YouTube

Have you tried mixing 2 tracks with different speeds? How did you do it exactly? In Ableton Live you can assign a certain bpm number to every track and set the first hitpoints (1.1.1), which will be adjusted automatically with the Master Tempo by Ableton - like this it’s possible to make dj mixes. In Cubase you have to use Musical Mode to strech the audio and a Tempo track as far as i found out, but when changing the speed in musical mode the tracks begin to sound really bad - so is there another way to do it?

the tools to make audio fit in Cubase are time stretch in the audio process menu, but I guess the most relevant tool to use is audio warp - set the hitpoints and you can quantize automatic or do a free warp. It can be a lot of work with a complete song in Cubase.
Hitpoint Detection | Audio Editing and Warping - YouTube

I use Live for dj mixes personally. I wouldn’t recommend using Cubase as Live is much quicker to make full tracks fit the bpm.

so i will stay with ableton for mixing tracks if this is the way it is done
in cubase.
thanks glennloopez :slight_smile:

Hello, i just found this thread.
What worked for me:
1.) Set an overall song tempo which best fits your audio tracks in the transport window.
2.) For each audio file, detect the song tempo (can be done with online services, i personally find it way too cimplicated in Cubase).
3.) In Cubase, hit Ctrl-P, and click “Music Mode” checkbox for each audio track). And in the column beneath, type in the tempo of each track.

Now your audio files should be aligned perfectly.

Best Regards
Christian

Yes!
Make sure to use the [elastique Pro - Time] time stretch algorithm.
Use the Tempo Track to e.g. start or end your set with lower bpm.

Usually DJ tracks are at 0db.
I set the faders of the individual tracks to -3db and add a +3db limiter to the stereo out bus to make up for it again. This smoothes out the peaks when 2 tracks are played in parallel (DJ mix). I use an L2 for this but should work with the Cubase Limiter too (Input=3db, Release=0.1ms).