Making Cubase64 default to open cpr files in Winkdows 7

Hi,
I guess that this issue is quite windows specific… I installed cubase 8 64bit and cubase 8 32 bit. I did in a way that cpr files would be open only by cubase 32bits and I couldn’t find a way to change the default program to cubase 64bit (in the list of default programs to open a file extension they would both get confused). I ended up having to uninstall cubase 32bit so I could open my projects quicker however I would really love to have the 32bit for a few specific projects that need it. Anybody can tell me a way to reinstall cubase 32bit so that cpr files still get opened with the 64bit version?? Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Hello,

you can change the default program this way:

– right-click on a .cpr file
– select ‘Properties’
– click on ‘Change’
– click on ‘Browse’
– point the Windows Explorer to Cubase8.exe 64-bit (default path is C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 8)

Kind regards,

Hi Fabio,
Thanks much but I already tried this and it has no effect (the 32-bit version gets selected anyway). It has happened to me with other programs too, when the binary has the same name (Cubase.exe), even if there are different versions in different folders, Windows is not able to tell between them… Do you know any alternatives such as editing this in the registry?

Read this article http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-file-associations-windows
Change file associations
To set File Associations in Windows 8 / 7, Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations. Select a file type in the list and click Change Program.

You will be displayed a list of Programs along with a Description and the Current Default. You can click on the Change program to set or change the current defaults.

Alternatively, you can also right-click the file whose association you want to change > Properties > General tab > Type Of File > Change > Choose a program from the list or recommended or other programs or else click Browse to select one.

You could also right-click on the .cpr file and choose “Open With”. After you select the 64 bit version of Cubase (I would suggest using browse to verify you are picking the version from Program Files", not “Program Files (x86)”), be sure to check the box for “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” at the bottom. This should associate all .cpr files with that version of Cubase.