Making Groups Eat Cpu A lot is it normal ?

Hi, bus and group thing makes me crazly confused in cubase so i will write what happens exactly.

Project in 48000khz 24bit. Cubase 10.0.3 Pro.(not 10.5) Latest elicenser update.
I use Amd 3 ghz, 6 cores- 16 gb of ram and windows 8.1.

Here is what happens :
Simply Project with Snare, Kick , Tom 1, Tom 2, Tom 3, HiHat, Overheads, 2 Guitars L-R pan. 2 bass guitar track di-grid.
i send Toms to Toms group, then Snare, Kick, Tom G. to group STK, Then i send STK to Drum Group. Then Cymbals including Hihat i send them to Cymbals group then i send cymbals group to Drum Group. I put nothing yet EQ or Compressor. I send every drum track(including STK,Cymbals) to Cubase Default Compressor via Sends.I group guitars, basses also.

and then my cpu be like 40-50%(sometimes 40 sometimes 50) already. Not leaving any space for mixing with plugins. and i feel like plugins i put abnormally eats cpu also…

So my question is,

1. Will it go away when i upgrade my pc with newest Cpu technology 16 cores*.(i dont know am i allowed to give any brand name here.)
  2. Everyone i see on youtube or other mixing engineers have no problems at all that grouping technic, My cubase bugged ?
  3. i also use firewire Konnekt 6 is it be the issue maybe ? (since mention of it newest motherboards dont have legacy PCI sockets but PCI4. how can i solve this issue PCI to PCI4 adapter maybe ? what is your experiences with that?)

Secondly: Plugins of another brands: 5 EQ, 2 Limiters, 1 Multiband Compressor 1 console emulation, 1 Tape Machine, is already, takes away 40% of cpu… within project total.

1. Is it related with neolithic age cpu of mine ? will it go away if i upgrade it to newest version 16 cores cpu ?
  2. Can it be problem with Firewire again ?
    I am stuck and open to your all advices… (since my cpu is old i dont have multithread etc. i saw a problem related to it)

Thank you all

Hi,

I would recommend first to search and try some system (Windows) optimisation.

Hi, Martin

this is my last resort writing here. Hearing from helpful community will be a lot cool, because i m using cubase 10 like a year and Cubase user since 2007. This happened to me first time after cubase 10.

if you think it is system related issue upgrading my pc will be helpful ?

Thanks

Elrith

Hi,

This is very interesting information. In this case, I would focus to the graphic card. What graphic card do you use, please?

Hi, Martin

I couldnt agree with you more. I always knew in my guts its graphic card issue but i couldnt prove it or otherwise… Sorry, not to mention my Gpcard earlier it’s MSI R7 370 GAMING 2G 2GB GDDR5 256Bit AMD Radeon DX12.

But, one thing i do not understand, i learn a lot of cool tricks with ‘’ grouping(busses)‘’ making seperate 6-7 groups in the mix and sending instruments there without any plugins on eating so much cpu… not leaving any space for plugins how can this be related to gpu very strange, is it common thing that everyone experiences?

Thanks

Elrith

Hi,

Sorry, I’m not Windows experience and hardware expert. Does your graphic card supports WDDM 1.1? I couldn’t find it.

Myself, I don’t experience this issue and I believe most of the users neither. It just a guess, but I can imagine, every object, which has to be drawn on the screen can increase the CPU load.

Grouping is definitely good and welcome technique.

Hi Martin,

I have checked with DxDiag it is WDDM 1.3 for windows 8.1 as i own windows 8.1. i have no clue my gpu supports wddm 1.1 either but it says in dxdiag 1.3. if this info. is useful for you.

i also use texas instruments chipset PCI firewire card to connect my konnekt 6.

As your years of experience upgrading my pc into new generation motherboard and CPU with windows 10 installation will prevent the issue ?

Thanks

Elrith

Hi,

If your graphic card supports WDDM 1.3, then it’s OK.

I’m sorry, I really don’t want to say “go for your PC upgrade” when I’m not 100% convinced, it would help. I mean, it might be that only one component change would help. But I’m not Windows expert at all, to say which one. It might be the Firewire. What about if you use your internal audio device with ASIO4ALL, can you observe the same?

In any case, I would recommend to update your Cubase to the latest 10.0.60. I would maybe try fresh Windows installation.

Hi Martin,

1. Forgot the mention this results with buffersize 2048 safe mode 2 with konnekt 6(highest latency and buffer as possible audio device can provide for me)I do not have any internal audio device, but i still tried it with asio4all earlier to see any difference yes there is a difference but slightly it surely gives a breath.

2. And thank you for suggestion 10.0.60 i have never thought about it, i was going after if it is not broken not to fix it policy and 0.30 was very stable for me at least until i make complicated group channels…(i havent noticed any issues until a heavy song mixes like this.)

Thanks again

Elrith

For the record when i open one of the heavy mixes with Asio cpu usage also stays same 99.9% but it drops to 70%.

99.9% to 70% spikes drops constantly without any stop.

I hope this infos are helpful about my issue and get rid of it soon.

Many Thanks

Elrith

Edit: with heavy mix i refer to Groups, Busses etc.

Hi,

How was the result with other ASIO driver (ASIO4ALL)? Even though, I would be more interested to avoid the Firewire card…

Hi Martin,

Asio driver was 99.9% then drops to 70% then again 99.9% this happens blink of an eye crazly spikes.

I agree with you and i am going to buy usb interface and write down the results here.

I agree with you 2nd time its either GPU or Firewire.

Let me share the results with usb 3rd gen audio interface when i grab it.

Thanks

Elrith

(edit: this can take a few months i buy new interface)

edit 2 : i have just received a mix with 48 channels… and it is default open 48 channels and using 5% cpu already. (cubase10. 0.6 pro) what part am i doing wrong on this. it must have been using 1% cpu even. i seriously think about upgrading my cpu and motherboard more next gen thing.)