Making this forum easier to use?

I tried to change key signature and YOU WON’T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!

Quick! Watch this Dorico tutorial before it’s banned!

The keyboard shortcuts Hillary doesn’t want you to know about!

+1
I think 9 sub-forums is too many. It makes it too difficult to decide where to post, and too difficult to redirect a post that’s in the wrong place.
A good model to start with might be the top four categories at

General
Presales
Feature Requests and Suggestions
Issues

Thanks for everyone who’s added here.

The arbiters have to be Daniel and Steinberg - so if they feel it’s counterproductive, that’s OK, I’m sure we all accept that.

I do actually help run a forum with many more subsections that works well and doesn’t need too much moderator intervention; but then it’s not quite so hectic as this one dealing with the introduction of arguably the most important piece of music software in a decade!

I was thinking more of those of us who are totally locked into Dorico notes and queries; and understood our way around. So sure 9 was too many, sorry! Was thinking of maybe the user who - in any one session - wants to sift only through all the “How do I…? - musically” and not the “How should I make my machine…?”; and then - later in the day - go straight to the “payment, licensing and version” news, ignoring actual operation. Up comes something unexplained - so go only to the “Report a prob.” subforum.

If, however, that even risks slowing Steinberg/Daniel down from the real work, I’m happy - obviously - to withdraw my suggestion :slight_smile:

Thanks, All!

And good luck the Team - we’re behind you :slight_smile:

But I think all of that is really solving the wrong problem.

The right problem to solve is “how to get to a situation where a new user doesn’t need to do any of those things”. Of course solving that has to be done by the software development and documentation teams, not by reorganizing the forum.

With respect, Rob, not necessarily :slight_smile:!

I’m not pushing my suggestion, given the immense workload - and even larger amount of goodwill - of Daniel and Steinberg. We are extremely fortunate to have their dedication and expertise. So I accept their gentle and polite rejection of the idea :wink:.

I was suggesting nothing more than good data organization and navigation; UI even, if you like.

Once the changes that most of us feel are all but inevitable have been made and these teething troubles are a distant memory, mightn’t it not still be good practice to encourage any user visiting any forum/BBS still always to be able to get to where they want either to post or to read others’ posts based on a subdivision of subject matter? At the moment we have to scroll through two or three pages sometimes to catch up - such is the interest in Dorico.

IOW my suggestion had to do with the multiplicity of ways we buy, use, install, learn, accept (or reject :imp: ) the software, much more than its progress.

Mark of course you are right, in the sense that in the real world you are never going to get to the situation where no user has any problems.

But to make the analogy with something else - let’s say a local shop: I don’t want to buy stuff from a shop with the most wonderfully customer-friendly service in town to explain how to use something that I’ve bought when I can’t figure it out for myself, or even get a refund if I didn’t understand what it was supposed to do before I bought it. I just want a shop where I can buy stuff, start using it without any hassle, and get on with the rest of my life!

Yes; thanks.

All I’m saying is that you want the vegetables to be stored with the vegetables (and not the greetings cards) and the light bulbs near the cleaning products (and not next to the cereals) in such a shop.

Regardless of the circumstances under which the shop was built and is now staffed.

Eventually - when user probs are but 1% of the total traffic :confused:

I’m an English Cubase and Wavelab user.
Though I can appreciate the traction, I’m by now getting pretty fed up with 99% of the “new posts” being Dorico.
I’ve no interest in Dorico, I also don’t speak german, I would appreciate if I could exclude both forums from my “new posts” query