Many Projects Crash Cubase 12, But Not Cubase 11

Intel Mac with Monterey here and I’m finding a heap of projects with varying plugins (UAD, Softube are my most used) are getting to a certain point in playback and crashing perfectly at that point every time in Cubase 12, (with the crash log mostly blaming a random/never the same plugin… however sometimes it blames the Cubase 12 app itself).

On the same machine I can open that project in Cubase 11 and it performs perfectly.

In Cubase 12, I’ve tried using ASIO switching on/off, both versions are using the same buffer settings (2048) … there are no spikes happening when the crash happens - the app just disappears with the crash notification popping up shortly after.

I’ve been sending the cash logs in to Steinberg with the feature included on the load up screen after a crash … but wonder how I can report this in a meaningful manner so that it can be resolved?

I don’t have any blacklisted or out of date plugins being used in the project … they’re all qualified for Monterey (and again working fine in Cubase 11 on the same machine).

I’ve also sent the logs to Softube (of which I’m using the latest Monterey approved version) when they are blamed (curious that they work flawlessly in Cubase 11 though) and Yamaha Australia are the ‘support’ option here … and they have way too many things to consider to be able to offer decent Steinberg support. Most of the time I post a request it just gets ignored completely.

Is anyone else finding the same thing?

1 Like

Hi,

Could you share the *.ips file, please?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

Thanks @Martin.Jirsak

Sure thing - here are a few from this evening when it gets to the same exact point on playback.

It blames different plugins in the splash screen on load when I re-open CB 12.

Cubase 12-2022-03-18-185912.ips (139.8 KB)
Cubase 12-2022-03-18-191630.ips (136.0 KB)
Cubase 12-2022-03-18-190159.ips (138.8 KB)

Hi,

All the crashes are the same and end up here:

StripControlOutput_VST_AU_Protect	

Is this any plug-in or utility? Please, ask the vendor of this software.

Yes that’s those three I guess - there are other crashes from other plugins … but why do they work flawlessly with the exact same project in Cubase 11 and crash every time in Cubase 12?

That one is related to Softube I suppose.

Here are other crashes from this evening which have other plugins being the issue with the exact same point in the same project (again only in CB 12).

Cubase 12-2022-03-18-185804.ips (138.3 KB)
Cubase 12-2022-03-18-185137.ips (142.9 KB)
Cubase 12-2022-03-18-182607.ips (143.6 KB)

Cubase 12-2022-03-18-181430.ips (140.6 KB)
Cubase 12-2022-03-18-181251.ips (138.3 KB)
Cubase 12-2022-03-18-180346.ips (143.3 KB)

Hi,

• StripControlOutput_VST_AU_Protect
  • SSL9000Output_VST_AU_Protect
  • The Cubase 12-2022-03-18-185804.ips comes from Cubase. Do you have any idea, what did you do in this case, please?

Because is developing. It might be, there was a bug in Cubase 11, which allowed to do something in the plug-in code, what was wrong. And this bug has been fixed in Cubase 12. This might be one explanation. Or Cubase added a feature, which is incompatible with some plug-ins code.

Every single crash is from playing the same project file and Cubase 12 quitting suddenly at the exact same bar/measure.

I have sent relevant reports to Softube.

1 Like

Cubase crashing all the f… time here. Don’t know what the hell is going on with this daw, to be honest.

3 Likes

Hi,

Is it Mac or Windows? Could you provide more details and share the crash/dmp file, please?

On mac.

Ok, I send you the files privately.

Hi,

First of all, you are running Cubase 12 on macOS 10.15, which is not supported system. Please, update to the supported system.

• I can see 2 Cubase crashes, but these could be related to the unsupported system.
  • I can see FabFilter crash, followed by graphic card driver issue.
  • I can see EuCon crash.

this is a nightmare my mastering chain is down addictive drums 2 wont work im not an it guru i just paid and want it to work its 22 this really is crap guys most unstable version since 9 your going backwards

loads of log files sent from pop up screen, so meanwhile i cant work

I’m absolutely out from Cubase - 12 was the nail in the coffin for me.

Getting very sick of these while working on projects that I’ve still got to got back to Cubase for - this one was when doing some fades on audio events.