Many projects not opening, ‘probably damaged’, extremely urgent

Hi Lars and Cubasis Crew!

My understanding was that this problem had been fixed?

Most recent version of Cubasis and iOS 16.3.1, 11” iPad Pro 2nd Gen.

Again, not to push, but this is particularly urgent, as many of my files won’t open now. Specifically, Cubasis is telling me my project is damaged, and can’t be opened. This is happening on multiple projects. There is some pressing important work in the projects that is coming due, as I’m under a deadline with Warner Brothers. Cubasis is either telling me projects can’t be opened at all ‘probably because it is damaged’’ (probably? what are the other possibilities, and why aren’t they articulated?) or telling me the same thing and then opening an old backup of my project with much of the current work in the project lost.

I have tried rebooting, and this doesn’t help.

These are not complicated projects with a lot of tracks, but they need to be accessed, as I’m in a professional setting.

This is happening on almost all of my projects, and multiple weeks of work is seemingly lost. This saving and re-opening problem makes it extremely difficult to rely on Cubasis a professional setting, and in this case, if I don’t get it solved before this deadline, it’s a becomes an difficult situation.
Please advise.

Thank you All!

Hi @terbarino,

Thanks for your private message.
The projects have been shared with our engineering.

Best,
Lars

Hi @terbarino,

Thank you for your messsage.

Our engineering gave your provided project files a check, which seem to contain large AUv3 presets that are incomplete.

Do you use Koala Sampler in these projects?

Our engineering evaluated that when using Koala, Cubasis becomes unstable and may crash while a project file is being written, which can result in damaged project files. Without Koala, these issues don’t occur and Cubasis runs perfectly stable in our tests.

Koala saves all the sample data in its preset, and Cubasis saves every plugin’s preset in its project (cbp) file. If the preset gets large, Koala seems to be slow when Cubasis asks for its preset data, and we also saw Koala crashing during our tests, causing a Cubasis crash.

We’ll try to exchange with the developer of Koala to find out who causes the crash, so that we can try to improve the compatibility of both apps together.

Best,
Lars

Thank you Lars!
And thanks to the engineering team for getting back to me so quickly on this. Very much appreciated.
I’ll keep my eyes peeled for updates
Keep up the great work, and looking forward to creating more with Cubasis!
Cheers

1 Like

Hi @terbarino,

Thank you Lars!
And thanks to the engineering team for getting back to me so quickly on this. Very much appreciated.
I’ll keep my eyes peeled for updates
Keep up the great work, and looking forward to creating more with Cubasis!
Cheers

Thanks for your kind message - greatly appreciated!
We hope to hear back soon from Marek Bereza, to further discuss the issue.

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars! I have some information that I hope may help with your communication with Marek at Koala. Often I will load a long master sample onto many pads in Koala, and the use the edit functions to scroll/select what I want to play on each of the pads. What apparently is happening in Koala, is that unless I use the crop function on every pad, then this is what is making the koala preset, and subsequently the Cubasis project huge in file size. I’m assuming this is because Koala loads and saves all samples rather than referencing them in the preset?

I recreated the ‘Ceasar’ Cubasis project I sent you this afternoon, only with each of the pads in Koala cropped. The Cubasis project is now only a few megabytes, and it seems to be running as smooth as silk now.

So it seems that for the time being, Koala users in Cubasis need to always crop samples before saving their presets to keep Cubasis happy. They lose the ability to res roll through samples, but at least, it seems, they’ll be able to work smoothly and save without corruption, I hope.

I hope this is helpful (if it wasn’t known already!)

Keep up the great work at Steinberg, and it looks like I’m back in business!

Thanks Lars,
Tom

Hi @terbarino,

Thanks for the additional info, which I’ve shared with our engineering.
Hopefully Marek get in touch with us soon.

Thanks
Lars