March 2017 Windows 10 release

Are there any Micro$not Insider testers out there already running the March 2017 Win10 release with Cubase?

If so, any comments about Cubase compatibility or otherwise?

I’m quite nervous of the fact that this OS just gets pushed to use now without any user control of the install date. Seems like a recipie for problems with a timing critical application like Cubase.

I run cubase 9.0.10 into windows 10 Build 15031.rs2_release.170204-1546 and I’ve not found any additional bug.
But I’m not a very hard Cubase user.

Regards,
Lluís

This is not totally accurate. On Windows Pro there are several ways to defeat this. I use Group Policy editor. You don’t say what version you you’re running, so I’ll post my own how-to and settings anyway.

Run gpedit from the Windows Run dialog

Find “configure automatic updates” in Administrative Templates

Set it up as shown in the photo.

Thank you both very much for the replies. Helps a lot!

Cheers,

Only thing I have had issues with from the last windows update is the wdf01000.sys.
It got corrupted some how. So it interfeard with my realtime audio running on the same cpu core.

Had to do fresh install to fix it. Now I have just put wdf01000.sys and the graphic dx sys to run on it’s own cpu core and cubase running on the rest of the cores. Just can stand the audio drop outs when ever there is a conflict.

2017 it is about time windows and the audio soft/hardw developers come to getter and sort out the realtime audio stream.

Had to do fresh install to fix it. Now I have just put wdf01000.sys and the graphic dx sys to run on it’s own cpu core and cubase running on the rest of the cores.

Can you explain how you did that please? I’m always interested in things which might reduce dropouts!

Cheers,

It is a bit of explaning so here is a link wich explanes it in a easy way.

It is not a permanent setting. You will have to do it everytime you start a session. But it takes like 30 sec to do it, when you know where to adjust settings.

I use this method mostly for tracking. “Nothing like telling a whole band, that they need to do one more take, caus audio droped out…”

If windows and the developers worked abit together on improving the realtime audio. The programs would have sorth them self out. Should be as easy as enabling realtime audio support in windows. And windows would isolate all interupting tasks to one single core and leave the rest to the daw and audio software.

Thanks for that.

wdf01000.sys and the graphic dx sys

Do you have the specific file name for the second one?

Cheers.

dxgkrnl.sys

Many thanks.

OK I’ve had a detailed look at task manager processes and services and I cannot see either of the files you mention above.

Can you tell me in more detail where you are seeing each file please. I’m not new to deep system stuff, but I’m just not seeing these.

Also, can you be specific about how you are assigning the affinity to each.

I have 4 cores. What should I do with them, cos there are several options from reading your instructions above.

Is it:

1. wdf01000.sys AND dxgkrnl.sys on the same core, with Cubase on the other 3 cores?
  2. wdf01000.sys and dxgkrnl.sys each on their own core and Cubase on the other 2 cores?
  3. something else?

Sorry to be a pain, but your experience and choices are probably critical to this working well and at present there are too many possibilities.

Cheers

I don’t see the mentioned names either although I suspect my graphics card is a different name. Since this reverts after a reboot then there is no harm in trying them both. I would probably drop those two/one onto a single core and use Cubase on the rest but I haven’t tried myself as not on my own PC

Steve,

Everything I’ve read on 10 the past year or so indicated that you couldn’t disable automatic updates at all, and at best corporate / enterprise users could defer them for something like 90 days.

I would be delighted to find that this was wrong, as it’s one of the major reasons I won’t put 10 on any of my machines. Does your solution have the same effect as turning off Windows Update completely in 7, or does it just turn off “some” of the updates?

Well, the question I’m answering is about gaining control over it. It does what it says. Anytime I have seen an update downloaded it waits for me to manually click to do the update.

I read up on the updates I’m might be wary of about and then click.

Personally, I’m fine with updating my computer, and I have not seen any problems.

Even that would be an improvement. I’m going to send this info to our IT guys (I’m a corporate software developer) as they were under the same impression that there was nothing you could do about the updates. If it turns out we can disable them entirely I believe I’ll owe you several beers should I ever visit Chicago. :slight_smile:

I’m not an IT pro, and my solution is nothing esoteric… I’m interested to see what your guys say.

I’ve been in the dev game since the late 80s and the only thing I know for sure is that there’s always more to learn. Our IT guys are pretty sharp, but it’s just not possible to know everything there is to know with computers. Especially in IT, they have to go wide rather than deep in most cases.

I’ll let you know what I hear from them. Being able to keep Microsoft from randomly doing things to your computer is a critical consideration with something as twitchy as an audio workstation. Murphy guarantees that the update that trashes your system will happen on the day that you don’t have time to screw with it.

I have also implemented those settings mentioned by SteveInChicago, but I have different behaviour. For me, this stops the automatic download (giving me a lot of nag screens), but it doesn’t stop the automatic install. So, when I click ‘download’ it will also install, and if that install needs to reboot then it will reboot without asking - i.e. it will just close my apps and not save whatever I’m doing! So, this solution isn’t the whole answer.

Personally I’m pretty disappointed with MS’s stance on this, working in a pro environment means that I have to be operational at all times, and it also means that I’m responsible enough to apply updates when I have the time to do it - not when MS decide I should do it, or after I’ve been nagged continually to do it.

Having said that, I usually upgrade pretty quickly, and I will upgrade in March. I’ll also check that everything works before I continue with important projects!!

Mike.

I just disable the Windows updates in services, never had a problem. I just turn it on again when I want to update.

That is a good solution.
Or use Tinywall firewall. It is a front end for the windows firewall. And it is easy to not allow windows update to connect. Or let nothing connect or only lan etc. Even without using this you could block windows update service with windows firewall.