Mark Tree Glissando?

Hi, I’m trying to re-create this:
Gliss.PNG
Can anyone give me a clue on how to achieve it please?

Thanks, Ian

The notehead can be changed by right-clicking on the notehead and picking a suitable replacement from the context menu (I imagine one of the diamond ones will work). You may then want to scale it using the properties panel (ctrl+8, then scale) because I’m pretty sure none of those are big enough by default. The text you can do with Shift+x.

The only tricky part is the gliss because glisses, at least to my knowledge–I could be wrong about this and would be happily corrected, or, at the very least, shown a more efficient way–have to be attached to two notes, not just one. So here’s what I’d do (and like I said, there could be a better way, but this will work):

1. If you’re in 4/4, put a 4/3 quarter notes tuplet on beat 1.
  2. Put a 4/1 quarter notes tuplet on beat 4.
  3. Put your whole note that starts the gliss on beat 1.
  4. Put a whole note to end the gliss on beat 4.
  5. Select the tuplet 4’s that show over your whole notes. Ctrl+8, set the number to not show.
  6. Select your second whole note. Ctrl+8, open color panel, set alpha channel to 0 (Windows) or opacity/transparency/whatever it is on Mac to none or full or whatever makes that note disappear.
  7. Tweak gliss in Engrave Mode.
    mark tree.JPG

Thanks very much for taking the time to give such a detailed answer. Apologies my post was rather short and not really as descriptive as it should have been, but it is the gliss that was causing me the problems. Having not used Dorico much, and seeing how it needs to be implemented, I don’t feel quite so bad now for not knowing the answer myself :slight_smile:

Thanks again,

Ian

Just to add that this workaround certainly works for pitched percussion, however it does not appear to work for the ‘official’ Mark Tree instrument which is un-pitched (unless I am doing something wrong). I can live with that for now though.

[Edit] Change that, I have just found that it does not seem to work if the percussion is part of a kit, otherwise it does seem to work.

Sorry to hijack this thread from a long time ago, but I’m trying to write a Mark Tree gliss in a drum kit part, anyone have any idea how to achieve this, as there seems to be no way to add a gliss in a kit part…

Cheers in advance,

Pierce

I’ve fudged it for now with a line after adding a Mark tree to the percussion kit.

Cheers,

P

I don’t think that is a fudge. That’s exactly how I would have done it.

Here is a method I used to get a bit closer to the style in the image in the original post.
It might not play back the way you want, though. In the procedure described below, I have only concerned myself with the appearance.

1. Enter the note as a minim (half note) - this will give a different shape diamond notehead than the semibreve (whole note).
  2. Right-click the notehead (or use Edit > Notations) and under Notehead > Diamonds, choose White Diamond Noteheads.
  3. Go into Engrave mode and hide the stem using Properties > Notes and Rests > Hide stem.
  4. Scale the notehead to 120% (Properties > Common > Custom scale).
  5. Select the rest and scale it to about 10% (Properties > Common > Custom scale). This will cause it to shrink and move downwards so that it is obscured by the middle line of the staff.
  6. In Write mode, select the notehead, open the right panel and click on the “lines” icon. Click on the wiggly line which suits the style you want - if necessary, that can be changed later in Properties > Horizontal Lines > Line body style.
  7. In Engrave mode, drag the end-points of the line to where you want them.
  8. Add text and dynamics as required.

Also, in both Write and Engrave modes, you can use the Scale and Custom scale properties to change the thickness of the line.

PS I’ve just re-read the post from @ Toaster1974 and noticed that it is for a drum kit. I don’t know if my method will work in a drum kit. I used a non-percussion player.

For starters, I would attach the line start to a note and the line end to rhythmic position. That aside, I agree entirely.

1 Like

Good point!

I have successfully create the above using the instructions by snakeeyes021, thanks! But I’m trying to figure out how to notate a “sustain” of all the chimes in the Mark Tree like I think we’ve all seen when the percussionist drags a finger or a stick back and forth maybe one or two times (in my case for the duration of one measure. I’ve seen posts elsewhere where the squiggly line was like in a broad short V shape, which might make sense. Just wondering what is normally done? And how would I draw something like that in Dorico? Am I even on the right track? Should I just draw a second squiggly line and fashion them into a kind of V shape?

A second squiggly line carefully positioned in Engrave mode sounds like the right approach to me.

Ok, it’s been two weeks and now I can’t remember how I created the regular staff for an unpitched instrument. Can someone help me out? I know I didn’t create a “kit” which appears to be what most have done. Because when I click on the instrument it doesn’t show ‘edit kit’ in the right click menu. But if you try to just add the Mark Tree instrument it only creates a single line. Can someone help me out? Again, I want a REGULAR staff so it looks just like snakeeyes solution. I don’t want a grid.

Can you just add another instrument with a 5-line stave and then change the name? Or do you need playback etc?