Markers have a 5s offset. Dorico won't allow me to change them

Hi everyone!

Hope you’re all doing well.

I have imported a tempo map from Cubase 10.5.12 to Dorico 3.10 for a scoring project. The project has two flows, one for each cue, and when I put the video offset to the position Flow 2 should begin, it moves my markers 5 seconds in time.

I thought it was the 5s between flows, but it isn’t. I can’t change their position on the video tab from the right panel, the only way is dragging them but it changes the tempo of the flow which is out of the question since everything is already set to begin scoring.

I honestly don’t know what can be wrong, as I’ve toyed with moving the offset and the timecode start and nothing seems to fix it.

I’ll attach a screenshot so you can see what I mean. The correct position for the markers to begin is 00:00:34:09 but as you can see they begin at 00:00:39:09.

Thank you in advance for your time.
TC Issue Markers position that I can't change.PNG
TC Issue Video Properties.PNG

I can’t explain why all of the markers might be offset by 5s, but you should be able to double-click the timecode in the Markers panel in Write mode to edit the marker timecodes and move them back by 5s. If you can’t do that, please zip up and attach the project here so we can take a look.

Ok for some reason now that works. Before I could click on them and enter the -5s values but the program didn’t allow the change. I closed the project, opened a new one and then just left it there for a while. I just came back, saw your reply, opened the project again and done, now it works.

It does seem like a strange issue, I will attach the project and the cubase tempo track in case you guys want to take a look and maybe see if it’s the track causing the issue.

I have another scoring project that I will begin shortly. If something similar happens I’ll let you guys know in this thread so you can check for a possible bug.

Thank you very much for your time.

PD: I was trying to compress the file and attach it but I can’t. It’s a 4.1Mb file but it says it’s too big. Is there a way to make them smaller? I’ve tried everything with 7zip and winrar but it won’t go lower than 4Mb for some reason :frowning:

To reduce the size further, do File > Save As so that you’re working on a copy, then go to Play > Playback Template and apply the ‘Silence’ playback template, then save the project again. Now it should be positively tiny in comparison. The bulk of the data comes from the VST plug-in data Dorico saves to ensure it can restore all of the audio data next time you reopen it.

I tried that but it’s still larger than 4Mb. Can I send it via email?

I found other small bug btw. When adjusting the markers position, some of them change but remain either one frame above or one frame bellow the desired position, e.g. when changing 00:00:35:09 to 00:00:34:09 the marker moves either to 00:00:35:08 or to 00:00:35:10, even when I type the exact position to where I want it to go. This only happens in a few markers, not all of them.

You can certainly send the file to me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de. However, it sounds like you’ve been able to offset the markers anyway now, so I guess that’s no longer such an issue.

Re: the frame being out by one for some cases, there may be a tiny rounding error in the code that converts the absolute time position of a marker to the displayed timecode. We have had a couple of other reports of it but as yet have not dug into it any further. I’ve never seen any reports of the error being greater than 1 frame. Sorry for the inconvenience.

No problem at all, In this case one frame doesn’t hurt but it’ll be nice to see it solved in a not so distant future.

I won’t send you the project then, unless I get any other weird error or bug in which case I’ll email it to you directly with a detailed report on the issue.

Massive thanks for all the assistance!