Martelé Articulation in Bravura?

Where is the martelé and or martellato articulation by that name among the 3500+ glyphs in Bravura font?
I suppose this qualifies as a font request. I am not concerned about martelé playback at this point, only the classic articulation.
I do realize notation of this bowing style is extremely inconsistent in the literature, and the Dorico (Gould?) solution is the martelé text with perhaps a marcato, staccato, accent, or nothing as preferred.
However, string and keyboard music spanning centuries includes numerous examples of martelé articulations, sometimes including martelé text, often not.
Attached is a screen shot from Brückner Symphony No. 9, second movement mm. 52-58.

Martelé- Brückner.pdf (247.2 KB)

The best approximation I can find in Bravura is uniE4A6.ss01 and the companion uniE4A7.2201, which are described as articStaccatissimoWedgeAboveSmall (Staccatissimo above/below small staff.) See screen shot.

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 10.39.45 AM.png.pdf (15.8 KB)

The "regular Bravura staccatissimo" is of course an alternative, but is "too tall" and not "wide, pointed" or bold enough to match the shape from the bulk of the literature.
This articulation does exist in Maestro, (which is newly SMuFl) and numerous other fonts. See attached Maestro font "marcato" more the shape of an "arrowhead."

I have studied the various threads suggesting shift-X popover and pasting the closest Bravura matching articulation, and/or the martelé from Maestro as text. It does work. The prospect of "manually" adding hundreds of popover articulations above and below the notes in this manner is daunting. 
Even if I were able to write a lua script switching to Engrave, changing the font, and size, then adjusting the vertical position it remains daunting.
In other threads Daniel mentions the 8 specific "traits" of articulations, at least in terms of playback. The martelé would qualify as either "stress or marcato" even for playback.
Am I missing something here?
Is there some articulation in Bravura like this martelé - marcato variant in Maestro?

Hi!
You’d probably want to use a playing technique — that is where the text indication for martellato is. You can create a new martellato technique with a glyph you can choose (from Maestro if that’s what suits you) and that triggers the proper martellato play-back technique.

To be honest, I doubt there’s a semantic difference between the relatively short wedges in your Bruckner example and the slightly longer staccatissimo in Bravura. They’re the same symbol, just a different style. A conductor or string player might refer to them as martelé, molto marcato, or staccatissimo, depending on context, and it may be interpreted differently in different musical styles and traditions, but there’s really no difference in the symbol itself. If you prefer a shorter variety, you can (in Dorico Pro at least) change the existing Bravura glyph for another one from a different font.

1 Like