master bus output deleted

I could, but why should I ? I had given you the solution in my first post already…
It´s not me who needed additional info in this case - it´s you, which is why I referred you to the manual.

I hoped you would take my advice to read the manual instead of calling me an ass…
It seems to be always the same kind of people, who think they have to tell me things like these…
Also for you: I decide myself what I post where and when.

That really doesn’t explain much. What ‘device’ is that? Your computer’s onboard sound or an RME Fireface 800 or what?

This is where putting your version of Cubase and your hardware models in your signature would have clarified a lot for those trying to help you.

For example, the full Cubase has Control Room, which is where the actual physical output ports for monitors and headphones are specified, leaving the output channels Not Connected, but using the Control Room switching to select which monitors/headphones are used for the physical output.

However, if Control Room is disabled in full C7 or using any other version of C7, the outputs MUST be routed to a physical channel to hear anything.

Sometimes, like it appears now with you, getting up to speed on the basics of routing via reading the manual would probably be the best course, so relieving those who are having to reinvent the manual in order to explain it to you.

This is very basic stuff, completely covered in the manual. There are plenty of other facilities that are not covered in depth in the manual, and for those, the forum is the best place to get clarification from the benefit of others who have had to get to grips with them.

A DAW like Cubase has a lot of facilities, and to fully understand all of them would not leave much time out of a year to do much work. Add to that, that it must work with the computer’s and any external hardware, and who knows how many third-party plugins.

You have to do your homework, and be generous and detailed with the information about your issue that you offer to this forum. It is you who is wanting help, and thereby relying upon the good will of strangers. You have to respect them, and not waste their time, as they need to feel that they are getting something out of the interaction besides a whole lot of angst.

I am sorry to butt in here, off topic and all, but “goschman”, take a look at thinkingcap’s post count. It’s near 6,000. Not that post counts in themselves are self evident, of course, but in a music community it often close. Over time the people that are nuts or otherwise truly unhelpful tend to drop off. I’ve been using Cubase for a long time (since before it was actually called Cubase) and I’m nowhere near thinkingcap’s encyclopedic level, even though I post my fair share. Not that I don’t know Cubase, I just don’t have the same amount of time or interest to help at that capacity.

Too often, people with experience in any forum, have to decipher (and I mean that literally) what other people in need really mean when they post. Thinkingcap even got that capability, whereas myself need the basic facts before I try (well, at least most of the time).

My point of writing was to reach out a bit and perhaps explain why some of us in the forum appear, as Steve(InChicago) said, a bit dry. Far too many folks come in here, peeved because this or that don’t work in Cubase, and it turns out that they just do not understand Cubase. It comes with a manual that explains most things in Cubase. Perhaps a bit technical at times, but hey, it’s a professional software suite, not a “tracker” (even if some of us do have a lot of fun with it). This also means that the software is very flexible, and like everything flexible, it requires the ability to control that flex, or that flexible software won’t help much.

Thinkingcap is top-of-the-line help here, mate. Please don’t be a [fill in desired word here]!

I hoped you would take my advice to read the manual instead of calling me an ass…
It seems to be always the same kind of people, who think they have to tell me things like these…
Also for you: I decide myself what I post where and when.

I read how you tried to help…
Your advice came acrossed as pompous and rude and high and mighty. Just maybe if you are running into these “same” kinds of people often, you might consider reading what you wrote as to why that is… We are not here to be lectured to. We are here to learn. That includes you, me, and the rest. Talking down to people only makes them and others reading it angry. I’m sure you know this but just incase I thought I’d tell you that decision making to be blunt cuts both ways. Being helpful AND respectful gos much farther, and being someone whos post counts number in the thousands should know this by now…

The attitude of a person in need is even more important, and requires an even higher share of respect. If you want a person better at something than yourself, to help, you ought to present your case in the best possible way, and be humble about it. Being in need and being able to help, is a simple situation of leverage. Like it or not.

I saw a bumper sticker a while back, it said “nobody owes you anything”. Too many people today, don’t get it.

Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t think people should be short-for-Richards either way, but way too many people on this planet do not understand how to commune or what cooperate actually mean.

English is not my mothertongue, so I might be not understanding this correctly, but if you want to learn without being lectured to, you have to self educate - which is exactly my point.

Self education does not give one a free ticket to run over a person just because one thinks they are less “educated”. Which is exactly “my point”. There are many ways to suggest that someone needs to return to the manual and re read a part of it without being rude and uppity about it all. Maybe your native language has nothing to do with that and general kindness toward others does? In other words and I hope your “mother tongue” understands this, that its in how you treat others what determines how you’re treated. A little kindness go’s a long ways. Im sorry to jump in here like this, hijack threads and say what I thought, but I hate bullies and you came a crossed as one. Admit to it and be a better man. Or not. Im done here…

I really can’ t see the rude part here, except if telling someone he is missing some basics, is generally an offence - IMHO, that would only be your personal opinion…

Don’t assume somebody is rude, communicating with written letters can give the effect that it is interpreted somewhat different than you ment, so ask the person if he ment it like that, otherwise I myself am a bit cautious to write what’s on my mind. If I like to get things of my chest then it’s better to do it with your mouth.

…So just saying, that writing can be interpreted different then originally meant in the first place…

[edit] please do not shoot me, English in neither my mother tongue!

This is a good point to make.

It is often difficult to ascertain just what’s meant by what is written, since no actual words, or tonal inflection can be heard, especially when already frustrated because of DAW/computer issues like I get even before coming to ask for help here. I’m usually at my whit’s end already, and admittedly have a ‘short fuse’ by then.

But this is usually the cause of what’s now known as ‘flame wars’, where one side takes offense to the other side’s ‘supposed tone’, only to have both usually add numerous posts having to subsequently clarify their positions, and/or even end up apologizing sometimes.

I’ve seen it countless times on numerous forums- it does no good - it solves nothing.

But what it will do is cause separation, animosity, and even hostility among members of a community that could and should otherwise be getting along just fine, trading info & help back & forth, not to mention light-hearted banter, etc.

I didn’t chime in to pick sides here, :neutral_face: but will say that I, myself have been guilty of not reading the manual before posting on here. :blush:

Nevertheless, I have been treated very fairly, even when the suggestions were made to go & read it, and I always try to remember to thank those who chime in to offer their help & solutions, regardless of whether they worked for my particular case at the time or not. :slight_smile:

After all, they probably have better things to do, but are giving their time to me instead.

So, for the sake of the community, let’s all be careful with just how quick we are to ‘jump’.

:bulb: As Reginald Denny once said: “Can’t we all just get along?”

Peace!

Came back to this after creating a new post on another topic…

I just wanted to apologize for being insensitive to the community’s expertise, specifically thinkingcap. I am a hobbyist recording musician. I am no expert in anything computer, software, or Cubase related so I don’t always know how provide all of the necessary information and may not completely understand what others are recommending. I mainly got upset after being told to read the manual which is something I had been doing for quite some time. I admittedly let my temper flare up which rarely happens in general. When posting, I will try to have more humility and do my best to provide more information. I should have prefaced everything with the fact that I am a moron which I will try to do moving forward. Also, it seems that paying attention to the number of a user’s posts is advisable.

Sincerely,
Recording and Clueless :blush: :cry:

The manual has quite a lot of information, but to be really useful, it would have to be at least three times larger, writing as someone who was a technical writer for 20 years. While the manual generally lacks depth, it does cover almost all of Cubase’s facilities.

No one wants to read the manual from cover to cover as if it was a novel, but I would suggest that you at least read the introductory paragraphs of EVERY chapter and section very soon. While that wont give you any ‘how to’, it will give you a good idea of all Cubase’s facilities, just so you have a ‘model’ in your head of how it fits together.

This gives the benefits of:
a) Having a rough idea of where to look when you have problems.
b) Knowing whether or not Cubase has facilities to handle something new you want to do, just so you don’t waste time kludging, rather than using more efficient, purpose designed functionality.
c) Having some idea of the right questions to ask when you do get to these forums.

DAWs are probably the most complex prosumer software you will ever come across. You will have many more questions to ask along your way.

Did it take you two years to read the manual?

Actually, I have only gotten through the table of contents. Hopefully in a few more years… :confused: Thought I made it clear in my last post that I am a moron which I have fully realized after this string.

(I had read the manual, at least the applicable sections, before posting.)

Ha! Excellent reply!

This is really encouraging to see here goschman and I highly applaud your willingness to come across so humble - a trait I highly admire in today’s complex world.

2 years ago when I was new to Cubase, I was advised to read the manual as well, but there was an added ‘F’, as in ‘read the effen manual’.

I took no offense to it though, because:
A) The guys here were trying to help me, regardless of mine or anyone else’s tone, mood or experience level;
B) I hadn’t read the manual [yet].

There are some who will say that the Cubase forums can be a tad unfriendly and even a bit of a harsh place, but I’ve always been treated very fairly here.
And if I asked a question whereby the answer was easy enough to find on my own, maybe I even deserved a bit of a ‘talking to’.

But honestly, people are people, and I’ve seen just as much of both good, bad and everything in between on other forums that I belong to like Cakewalk, Presonus, KVR, etc.

So I refute the theory that the Cubase forums are particularly unfriendly. They’re not anymore than anywhere else.
What this forum does offer is some of the best advice from some very heavy hitters for a very sophisticated DAW - and one that can be hard to learn at times because there’s just so much to it.

If I post a question for help here, personally I’m ok with having it coming to me straight and to the point - especially if I say or do something that gives the impression that I’m a bone head - [whether temporary or permanent], which has happened on more than one occasion. :laughing:

Anyway, I do hope you’re getting along just fine with Cubase now 2 years later.

Welcome back!

Best regards,

James

I came back after running into another problem. I am glad I prefaced it with the fact that I am a complete amateur because the fix was something very simple again. Before, I didn’t realize how much of an amateur I really was because I had years of experience with Cubase but now I realize I use it in a very basic way.

Few people are professionals, period, so I don’t think qualifying yourself as a amateur is necessary, nor particularly important. Some people spend a lot of time doing something, have the fanciest rig there is, and still don’t have a clue. Too many peeps buy the Big Tool-belt, the Move-any-mountain Edition, only to find out that they have to somehow use the tools that came with it. What a drag.

I think this is the case with a product like Cubase too. It’s not THAT complex, but one have to use it a bit to find that out, and perhaps one is just not cut out for it. That IS a possibility. (I meant that in a general sense!) Just because it isn’t necessarily complex does not make it trivial, like something you pick up over a coffee break.

Most people can learn to use a hammer, but to construct something with it, and a few more tools, may not be for everyone. Even if the desire is there, though that certainly ought to be enough to spark willingness to dive in a become proficient. No matter how one concentrates, that pen won’t move with thought alone. :wink:

I think one of the most important thing an adult can learn, is to say “I don’t know” when they don’t. It’s amazing how many people are incapable of this. Not only does it inform others that this person potentially needs a bit of a push, but more importantly it reminds of the need to learn something.

A forum can mean “a court or tribunal” but I think that the digital version was meant as “a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged”. Way too often, that last word goes missing, and some posts (again, in general) come across something like “I am writing an opus, but I am paralyzed from the scalp down, what button do I push? Also, why wouldn’t Steinberg create a shortcut for simplicity?”

Thanks for turning out human, goschman! :slight_smile: