Can’t sleep, can’t eat anymore as all my thoughts are about a new synth I want to get for my studio. This needs to be the main one with good build quality, good keys, easy integration with DAW Cubase (on Mac) etc.
Below is the summary synths I had in my studio and sold later:
- KORG M3 Workstation - liked the look, easy workflow with internal sequencer, good ROM sounds and Radias board but was not happy with 'ROMPLER" concept (static waves without live twist). Sold it.
- KORG Radias synth - liked very much the sound engine, however it was very bulky and clumsy in terms of synth patch editing. Sold it.
- KORG R3 - too much menu diving and very plastic keys with horrible feel. Sold it
- Yamaha Motif XS Rack - good sounds, too complicated menu diving, boring 'ROMPLER". Sold it
- Access VIRUS TI2 had all models (rack, Polar, keyboard) did not like the sound quality, too much trance thing, integration with DAW did not work, though Fatar keys were excellent really liked the touch feel and playability. Sold it.
- Roland V synth - excellent sound design capability but too clean sonically. Sold it
- Novation Mininova - good synth engine, however the sound quality was a bit thin and brassy, blue plastic. Sold it
- Dave smith Evolver - 4 oscillators synth hybrid. interesting sound design but too harsh and brassy, pain to program. Sold it.
- Moog Voyager - 3 oscillators, analog but not inspiring, boring and not really performance orientated. Sold it.
- Microkorg (MS2000 engine and new Radias based) - nice sounds, pain to program, not that advanced. Sold it.
- Waldorf Blofeld - very nice sonic engine, 3 oscillators, not good for low end but good for mid range. Somehow very unstable and wobbly volume level from patch to patch, terrible encoders. Sold it
- Nord Lead 4 - too brassy, harsh I guess good for lead sounds but not for pads etc. Red colour was like a spot on my face that did not attract me. Good synth engine and UI. Keybed is terrible, horrible light plastic keys - hate it. Sold it.
- Yamaha Reface DX - good sounds, horrible mini keys uncomfortable to play, interface is terrible.Sold it.
- KORG Kronos - good sounds, terrible fan noise, I felt like I was cheated as inside was a computer. Very nice keybed. Sold it.
So what is next to try and have as a main keyboard/synth in the studio? Any ideas?