Master Volume too High!!

Hi, I have a track finished but my master volume is hitting near 0db, but I want at least -3bd for
the pre-master.

I know how to shift click, select all faders and then reduce volume,
but how can I do this when the automation has been set.
Could I just reduce the gain on each track, or even reduce the gain on the master output!

Maybe my practice is wrong from the start but your advice will be much appreciated!!

Cheers

Kieran

Hi,

What I do is I route everything to a ‘master’ group track and control the overall level from there.

You can also adjust the levels on all tracks as you say.

Mauri.

If simply dropping the Master fader a few dB doesn’t work for you, I’d do one of two things:

I’d Link all the VSTi and Audio channels that were automated then Trim them via the Automation Panel (Project Menu) using Trim mode. (Start reading from page 235 in your Operations Manual)

Or, I’d drop the Input gain control on each of those channels (rotary knob at the top of each channel in the Mixer).

I wouldn’t touch the Channel input gain controles as it’ll affect all your compression settings!

The easiest way would be to just pull the master fader down, it’ll make no difference to anything other than the overall level.

Turn down the master gain trim - above the fader!

P

Why not just pull down the master fader? That’s what it’s there for!

+1 for pulling down the master fader. That’s what it created for.

Dumb question alert: Does pulling down the master fader only work if the signal going in is not clipping? In other words, would first routing to a “Master Group” be what is needed under those conditions?

Thanks -

Check also this topic: The BEST WAY to drop VOL on all tracks - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Depends on what you mean by "signal going in ". If it’s:

1. Signal going in your audio input. Then answer is yes: works only if signal in audio input is not clipping.
  2. Summed signal going in your master fader. Then answer is no: it works as long as you don’t exceed Cubase’s internal headroom (which you virtually cannot do).

With floating-point audio engine only places you should be aware of clipping are:

1. Inputs (A/D)
  2. Outputs (D/A and export)
  3. Bad-behaving (poorly written) plug-ins.

Thank you for your reply, Jarno.

I got home and did some twiddling and observed something I did not expect to, based on this thread.

I put my meter readings to “input”, then I cranked up the signal from one track going to my Cubase master channel. Based on what I read here, I thought that I could not clip the input to the master fader (32-bit and all).

But yet I got the “clipping” red bar under the master fader, and the signals were in excess of 0dbFS going into the master channel.

Of course by bringing the master fader down, I could prevent signals exceeding 0dbFS from leaving Cubase (looking at the master fader meter post panner), but I thought I would not be able to clip the input of the master fader, or drive it above 0dbFS.

Are you or anyone able to help me undertand where my thinking is off?

Thanks -

Indeed. You can’t clip (uless you boost your signal more than ridiculous 750dB).

The Red Bar is just labeled with wrong term. It should be labeled “OVER” to indicate you’re over 0dBfs. Wether this means clipping or not, see my previous post.

You can’t CLIP but you definitely can drive it OVER 0dBfs.

This is the basic idea on using floating-point audio engine: 0dBfs is not the absolute maximum.

And non floating point plugin architectures.

Thanks, Jarno, that clears up a lot!