Max for Cubase?

Why not or can you make the “logical” editor more like Max? It is the logical thing to do next. :notes:

4 Likes

What is Max?

Industrial strength object oriented audio video midi programming.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’d love to have Max integrated (well) into Cubase!

2 Likes

Hi,

Do you mean something like Max for Live? That’s amazing implementation from my point of view.

5 Likes

this!
+1

2 Likes

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. I was this close to switching to Ableton just for that reason, but ended up sticking with Cubase since I know it so well and didn’t want to climb the learning curve of another DAW.

Ive had the same dilema for years now. I love max. I love cubase. I hate ableton. The latency issues and project management are just ridiculous. The integration with max is incredible though. I would pay thousands for this to be possible. I keep going back to try ableton again and come so close to purchasing it but keep getting put off at the last minute.

Ableton now onwing cycling 47 was devastating news to me.

3 Likes

I agree. Check out the plug-in/program called ‘architect’ it’s not quite max but it’s very close. In fact, it is max really, just don’t slightly differently. It’s made by loomer

1 Like

I took a look at Architect, but it only seems to process MIDI data. Max handles audio as well, and I’m primarily interested in audio processing. Did I miss something?

I’ve only just started using it so apologies if I’ve got it wrong, they certainly sell it as a MIDI processor but I see in there is an audio player/streamer and wondered if you can get it in, surely then you can manipulate it with all the same rules? Perhaps not. It’s hard to believe that no one else makes anything like max. More to the point, why is max limited to Ableton that’s what I want to know

If you end up using Architect, and you find out to what extent it can process audio, I would very much appreciate if you could post your findings here!

Max is likely limited to Ableton because Ableton acquired the company that makes Max, and wants to have deep integration into their DAW as a distinguishing feature to get a return on their likely investment thesis.

Hi,

Max is not limited to Ableton Live only. You can use it also standalone. Max itself is much older than Ableton Live. With the latest Max 8.3, there is also so called RNBO, which allows you to easily export VST3 plug-ins.

Btw, there is also for example PureData, which is free version of Max.

But I agree, it’s amazing, how Max has been integrated to Ableton Live.

1 Like

Oh my goodness really? I by mistake bought max separately to ableton and then just decided to keep it that way. I’ve only played around with it a small amount because I was under the impression I’d have to use ableton in order to make full use of it. So perhaps I should look at it more?

Hi,

This is not Ableton forum… :wink: But, Max for Live is part of Ableton Live (maybe just some editions). If you want to use Max as a standalone, you need to buy a separate license.

how to send audio from cubase to max???

1 Like

I do some Max development. Here are some thoughts:

• Yes, it would be great to have a dataflow based “Logical editor” in Cubase. As we know Max was always designed for non-programmers and musicians. More systems should support flow chart paradigms.
  • You can use Max fairly easily for MIDI processing in Cubase, at least on Windows. It’s likely easy enough on MacOS. On Windows, you’ll need a tool such as LoopMIDI. Then you can route MIDI into Cubase through a virtual port
  • This means you can use Max as a MIDI Remote in Cubase. I’ve been able to trigger events from Max → MIDI Remote. Using this technique, I’ve been able to use the Push 2 to control Cubase.
  • Routing audio from Max into Cubase is more complicated. It requires different tools. If you use RME TotalMix, you can route audio from Max using Loopback and then receive that signal in Cubase. You could also try Blue Cat’s Connector. I think performance will differ depending on our audio i/o and CPU.
2 Likes

Ableton purchased Cycling 74 (creators of Max) 10+ years ago. When this happened they discontinued their previous VST export support. So Max was then optimized to work with Live’s API. It was a bold and great move on Ableton’s part because Max is an immense tool.

As @ Martin.Jirsak mentioned, you can now export VSTs again using their add-on RNBO tool which is still beta and not as “easy” as other features in Max as it requires more understanding of low-level logic and DSP.

I’ve been testing and using RNBO for a little while myself.

can’t find it anywhere. I just leep getting alternate links. I’ve tried ‘‘vst plug-in called architect similar to max for live’’ and still can’t get anything.

This is such a good idea