maximal number of flows

Dear ladies and gentlemen,

For a concert where ten pieces will be played, I am preparing a performance material.
As you could see in the attachment below,

I created ten flows, and Dorico seems not to respond correctly as follows:

• Creating a new flow takes longer than 10 seconds.
  • In the Layer option dialogue window, clicking items responds not correctly. I must double-click to select items, and it does not reflect correctly.
  • Dorico hangs extremely often after creating ten flows.

I imported percussion from pdf, and I will rearrange it. Currently flow one only has some notes, and the others are empty.

Could it be a bug or Have I done something wrong?

Best regards,
prko

Most operations in Setup mode will indeed get slower as the number of flows increases. Attaching and detaching existing players to and from existing flows is fast, and adding/deleting layouts is fast, but any operation that involves adding flows or players will be slow, and will get slower as the length of the project increases, because Dorico has to recalculate the entire layout to reflect the new state. We plan to address this in future, but it’s not trivial to do so: optimising these operations runs the risk of making the results incorrect or unstable, so we have prioritised correctness above speed, on the basis that these are operations that are performed relatively infrequently in the grand scheme of things.

In the meantime, if you switch to a part layout containing a single player, then save, close and reopen the score, you will find that Setup mode operations are faster. You will then have to wait longer the first time you subsequently open the full score layout again, but the operations in the meantime will complete more quickly.

prko, I suspect this comes down to the spec of your computer. Even on my Macbook (see specs in my footer) I can add or remove a flow to your project in under five seconds.

Agreed. On a Windows 6-core I7 desktop, about 3 seconds to create a flow and 1 second to delete it.

Same here with a quad core I5. So you don’t really need a beast of a computer to run Dorico.

Thank you.
I tested it again after relaunching Dorico. It takes now 5-6 seconds. According your records, it seems to be reasonable.
I do not know why it took so long yesterday… hm.

The specification of my laptop is as follows:

Processor Name: Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Displays: 4
Built-in: 1440900 (max 28801800)
L245WP: 12001920 (max 19201200)
LG TV: 20481152 (max 38402160)
DVI LCD: 1366768 (max 1366768)
Storage: SSD 2TB Flash

If you have multiple tabs or windows open then this will increase the time taken to create new flows.