MCU Remote: Anyone know of a virtual LCD like BCFView?

BCFview is perfect but problem is you have to have a BCF connected to make it work so Im looking for a virtual LCD that will register the vpot addresses etc
Im on pc but LC XView would have been great (for PC)

I’ve never tried it, but there is potentially this:

Project Home Page:
http://www.ovenwerks.net/software/mcpdisp.html

I must be in newb mode…seems very linuxy…cant actually see windows resources?

I’ve never used it, had just read about it some time ago.

But I thought you have to send Midi Sysex to MCU displays? So not related to Windows resources?

EDIT: Also I think it’s a one way street: Midi to the display, no control possibel through the display.

The idea would be to pair it with a MCU capable controller that doesn’t have a display.

And then you configure Cubase to listen to the hardware midi controller, but to (also) to send to this program via loopmidi or similar midi loopback program.

At least that’s how I remember it being described when I head about it.

Yep it uses the sent sysex from mcu remote in Cubase but I cant see an exe or anything that I would use in windows…says it connects to jack midi. Ill check it out if I can find an easier option…BCFView was just java I think

Thats the way BCFView seems to work.

1 Like

Just found this one (quite old, but at least is has an .exe)

1 Like

^ This is the one I use, it works great and has a great level of translation as part of the emulator too - but you can just use it to receive an input from Cubase as a screen only. Via virtual port of course.

There’s also the MCU Screens that are part of BC Manager which is the alternative setup tool for BCF/BCR’s:-

It’s a little confusing at first, but basically you need to enable the ports you want to use via the Options > MIDI Device menu.

Then, You setup the displays here (Select the enabled MIDI Port, display size etc.):-

And then view them from here:-

2 Likes

@skijumptoes @Nico5
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

1 Like

That’s because they’re ROCK’N ROLLER :wink:

1 Like

Some Feedback;

Mountains utils is quite convoluted but absolute overkill and not very aesthetic…prob good enough for testing.

MCU Emulator is really good, sizing, aesthetic etc…except I have tried for over half an hour and there seems no response. Its fairly simple to setup but with a BCF…doesnt seem to work…but might be operator error…just me: it does have a good manual.

EDIT: Needs the C++ updates to work

1 Like

MCU Emulator i’ve used a lot, have you got the virtual ports setup and running in the right direction? By no response, do you mean nothing on the virtual screen?

I added an EDIT at the bottom of my post

It absolutely needed the C++ updates, then it worked great

Older thread I know but I have a MCU Pro and extenders plus bcf’s for other controls. I am visually handicapped and would like a nice monitor display especially of the unreadable scribble script which I imagine is a challenge for people with 20/20 vision. I use Ableton fyi. Was considering the MCU Emulator or the mscdisp programme I found…both of these seem a little awkward to install…probably just me! Any ideas would be fab! Thankyou so much!

Hi @abritabroad
I have migrated some of the stuff across to cubase remote etc but it would still be a lot better to have an actually’info’ screen (which is good ux tbh)
Are you on mac or pc?
I havent actually used the status bar with MCU on Live…I use it for programming other OEM hardware and have complained/suggested they provide a better status bar that can be built around needs such as yours without having to resort to M4l.
I am kind of doing what you are but mainly for muscle memory as this is how the creative brain works…it must become like an instrument and visually cueing is the antithesis.

You could make some noise on the Live forum as you would probably have a lot more clout than me ie visual impairment etc

MCU emulator worked but it was tricky to get it going…I also asked Florian/Bome for a display and its apparently in the pipeline.

so very sorry for delay in replying for some reason I never saw any notifications for a response. Anyway thanks so much for your advice…I am still navigating the MIDI world with Bomes and Midi Ox etc. Might be in over my head but learning every day!!

1 Like