Measure Numbers Displacing Dynamics

Hello all!

I’m experiencing a hangup that I can’t seem to fix.

On my scores, I always have measure numbers along the very bottom staff. In most cases it is the tuba line. Unfortunately, no matter how much space I put in the vertical spacing area of the layout options, the dynamics for that bottom line are pushed down and refuse to ‘pop’ above the numbers so they can be below the staff where they belong.

I can set the vertical placement, ‘Minimum Distance from Staff’ to 20 spaces and the dynamics are just pushed lower and lower…always below the measure numbers.

Any thing that I’m missing to have my dynamics above the numbers where they belong???

Thanks!
efg

In the first 4 bars, the hairpin apparently extends further than the ff in bar 4 so Dorico is showing two separate lines of dynamics.

You might have the same problem in bar 12 as well, but it’s not so obvious just from a picture.

The other staves are presumably OK and the hairpins don’t overlap the other dynamic marks.

Actually, Rob, efg means that dynamics will go almost invariably under bar numbers when they’re set up that way, even when specifying huge vertical offsets by default. I’ve experienced this in the past as well. (Damn it, I’ve had to search my own posts for this thread, and I now just realize I never found the time to circle back to this.) As you can see from Daniel’s reaction, this is something that apparently can’t be reliably reproduced in all setups, so it might be a specific interaction going badly…

Edit - I just took a few minutes to go back to the old project where this flared up, created in Dorico 2.0. The two issues that motivated my thread seem to be fixed…

It is indeed the hairpin that is making the jump happen to below the numbers.

While experimenting, I unlinked the dynamics so i could re-enter them onto the tuba line. The mf and ff went in and stayed where they belong, but as soon as I enter the hairpin…boom! Below the numbers again. I tried all size and length of hairpins, attaching them to different notes and etc., but the addition of that shape in any way causes the problem.

-Ed

This is still a problem in version 4.2. Did anyone ever find a solution for this other than manually moving everything in Engrave?

Welcome to the forum, Matthew. Are you able to provide a small excerpt of your project that reproduces the problem?

Hi Daniel,

Here is a screenshot of the issue. As mentioned by the original poster here, the issue persists regardless of trying to change settings, specifically the Minimum Distance from Staff that theoretically should push the bar numbers low enough as to not conflict with the dynamics.

The only solution is to manually move every single dynamic marking in Engrave mode, and doing so in the score only fixes the score, not the parts. The problem exists in the score only on the bottom part since that’s where the measure numbers are, but it exists in every part.

Let me know if you need the project file instead of just the screenshot.

Thanks,

Matt

Sorry, I cannot replicate this. For me, increasing the minimum distance from staff works perfectly. Though I see your picture is from galley view (which does not reflect all spacings) - do you still see a problem in Page view?

It would certainly be helpful to get a look at the project file, Matt.

Problem dynamcis.dorico (1.9 MB)

@dspreadbury Attached is a quick file I made to reproduce the problem from scratch to ensure there weren’t any other oddities in play or additional steps I might have forgotten that could introduce the issue. Here are the steps to reproduce:

Create new file
Add players
Change the following layout options for Bar Numbers: select “Every bar” Frequency, uncheck “Show above top staff of system” and check “Show below bottom staff of system”, select “Rectangle” Enclosure type
Add notes
Add dynamics

This results in the dynamics getting place under the measure numbers. Unlike previous theories in this thread, this happens purely with p/mf/f; it does not require adding hairpins for crescendos for the problem to occur.

As you can see in the violin part of this file, sometimes it squeezes in properly if everything fits horizontally.

@Janus my screenshot was never in gallery view, but the problem does occur in both views and in print.

This screenshot is what happens if you increase “Minimum distance from staff”.

Right, thanks very much for this. This is actually as intended, at least for now. When you have bar numbers centred on barlines, they go inside almost other types of items, because in our experience people tend to want to tuck them in close to the end of the barlines to which they belong.

If you’re going to have bar numbers a decent way away from the staff, then I would recommend you centre them in the bar rather than centre them on the barlines: dynamics (and indeed more or less everything else) will then go inside them.

1 Like