Measured Tremolo Problems

I have these problems with measured tremolos,

1. The notes on the second beat should have dots.

2. The trem over beats 3-4 is notated properly, but of course, it won’t have a ‘12’ above it.

3. I can get a 12, but then I have a tremolo notation than indicates 8 notes (second measure). That’s the same issue as the tremolo on the second beat, with no dots.

As a final, minor point, the outermost line should join the stems on beat two. As you can see from the other trems, I have the proper option set in engraving options.

I’m probably doing something wrong here, but I can’t see what.

What is the time signature of these measures, and are we seeing complete measures here?

Yes, complete measures. The other parts are in C, this line is in 12/8. Of course, faked 12/8.

Use nested tuplets to achieve all those things that you need. The dots, the number you want above the notes… This specific question has been solved many years ago, and rhythmically, nested tuplets solve most of the problems you might encounter.

To add dots to the quarter notes in the tremolo on beat two of the first measure, select each quarter note and apply a 3:3x tuplet to it. Hide the numbers for the tuplets just added and also hide the bracket for the existing 6:4x tuplet.

To add dots to the half notes in the tremolo at the start of the second measure, select each half note and apply a 6:6x tuplet to it. Hide the numbers for the tuplets just added and also hide the bracket for the existing 12:8x tuplet.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, John! Perfect!

The option to which you refer only applies to half note tremolos, so it won’t affect the tremolo on beat two of the first measure. If you want the outermost line on that tremolo to join the stems, proceed as follows:

1. Enter the notes for the tremolo as dotted sixteenths.
  2. Select both notes and apply a one stroke multi-note tremolo to them. Now the tremolo looks the way you want but only occupies three-fourths of a beat.
  3. Select both notes and apply a 6:8y tuplet to them. Now the tremolo looks like two quarter notes with only one stroke between them!
  4. Select each note and apply a 3:3y tuplet to it. Now the tremolo looks the way you want again.
  5. Hide the inner tuplet numbers and the outer tuplet bracket. Also hide the outer tuplet number if you wish.
2 Likes

Thank you once again! I really appreciate the time you took to help me out!