Media Bay - EXCLUDE TERMS in search

Hi, it would amaaaazing to have an exclude feature in the media bay database search.

Or maybe if I have a bunch of files organized with an acronym or abbreviation “CLA”, so I want to go through those files but I don’t want it to bring up “clave” samples or “clarinet” samples or “clap” samples or “classic” samples or “clavichord” samples.

For example, if I want to search for “fire” but don’t want “gun fire” or “machine gun fire” showing up.

Of if I want to search for “male” without “female” results popping up.

Or if I want to search for “whistle”, but I don’t want a bunch of “slide whistle” showing up.

Or if I want to look through my files for “kick” but I get a lot of files called “electro kick” which I don’t want to show up.

Or if I want to search for “stick”, but I don’t want a bunch of “rainstick” samples to show up.

Or if I want to search for “shaker” but I don’t want a bunch of “shaker loops” results.

I think this would be a pretty simple but extremely helpful tool for Cubase.

EDIT Okay, I guess you can already do this with the logical search mode in the media bay, but logical search doesn’t seem to be available in the docked version of media that appears on the right side of the timeline window.

Am I the only one who thinks this would be a really good idea, and not too hard to implement?

+1

Would be very helpful.

+1, tho you can do this in the logical mode, not in attribute mode… So yeah let us exclude even in attribute mode !

All this is already available. Click the “Logical” button and check it out.

Of if I want to search for “male” without “female” results popping up.
Or if I want to search for “stick”, but I don’t want a bunch of “rainstick” samples to show up.

Use “matches word”

For example, if I want to search for “fire” but don’t want “gun fire” or “machine gun fire” showing up.

Or if I want to search for “whistle”, but I don’t want a bunch of “slide whistle” showing up.

Or if I want to look through my files for “kick” but I get a lot of files called “electro kick” which I don’t want to show up.

Or if I want to search for “shaker” but I don’t want a bunch of “shaker loops” results.

Use “omits”
mediaBay Search1.gif

Oh okay. That’s really cool. I guess I didn’t realize you could do that because I’ve really gotten into the habit of mostly using the docked media bay on to the right of the timeline.

In the docked version, I don’t think it allows you to use logical mode. Correct me if I’m wrong. But if I’m right, then it would be nice if Steinberg added that capability to the docked versions as well.

In the rack mediabay you can use the minus sign to exclude.

sax -tenor

Perhaps, instead of making a feature request, you might consider asking if a function is present in the General forum. (I’ll move this one) Hope you don’t take it personally.

SteveInChicago Thank you!!! I read this message late. I was messing around with media bay and found that out. And I was going to come one here and post that, except I guess you beat me to it!

Anyway, I guess I’m fine with media bay then. I just wish I knew this sooner lol

Actually, I have one more issue with the racked media bay.

It would nice if you could specify what you are searching through over there like there is in the larger window. i.e. whether you are searching for text that appears in the file name, or the filepath, or the tempo, etc…

This. It is beyond frustrating to search for a ‘term’ and have results show up that don’t even include the word ‘term’ in the filename, but somehow have it in a tag somewhere. I want to be able to search filenames only!!