media bay nightmare

Hi,

i have to edit some sounds for a movie and i’m trying to use media bay.
been working for years with windows explorer (because already experienced many problem with mediabay) and search function through my sound librarys… and it worked so far.
But now i did the recording using a 664 and “advanced” tags so i would love to use it.
and so far it’s a nightmare. Many problems but let me list the first here :

Audio / Assets / Take
displays the take of the audio file. And i want to order my results with “takes” here is what i get :
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 11 110 110 111 112
:laughing: really how can we work with this ? it’s 2018 it should be possible to program a software to tell him that “11” comes before 109 right with or without “0” in front no ?
Google Photos

other problem :
Audio / assets / date recorded
some sounds i can update that date some i can’t. i looked at “lock file” it’s not. how can i edit that ?
looks like the 664 writes date and time of record in that category. so there’s no way i filter one specific date in nuendo and if i can’t edit it well… what’s the point of all this. Also nuendo gives crasy order results like for the “takes” https://photos.app.goo.gl/kBbL6tpDLg6uRJTZ2

other thing that gives me headache :
when i want to search sounds thought a specific folder from the left “define locations”
the more i go through folder the less i can see the left boxes to tick them !!!
Google Photos
when i scroll left to tick the box i want… i can’t see the folder. no Horizontal line helps alot to get lost.

do you guys seriously work with media bay ?
for the moment i guess i’ll go back to windows explorer even if i can’t see the video for wich i’m looking for sounds becuase nuendo removes video as soon as we’re out of nuendo

Hey

That is crazy… use media bay since years and never had such problems. I had tons of files from many SD Recorders, worked well, but without any proper metadata. I have great hope in the fieldrecorder workflow coming next.
I never had those problems with the checkboxes on the right, that looks crazy…
There are alternatives to media bay though, also for free, maybe try some out.

hi,

you never had… so it works fine for you ? are you on mac ?
now i added a new location on mediabay … and when i do scan i get this message then nuendo crash
Google Photos
the funny thing is … now each time i open media bay even in an other project then scan then crash then back to desktop.

this mediabay is a joke…

—EDIT
and on and on …
Google Photos

Yes, Mediabay works fine for me, as it is meant to be… I’m on Windows 10, newest updates etc…

MB functions reliably here, on W10, latest.

I think this has been brought up before, like years ago, possibly in a different context. I guess make it a feature request in the feature request section?

Can you be more specific as to what files can be edited and what files can’t? Are they all the same type? Are they all from the same source?

As for ordering: If I remember correctly a common feature in browsers and software is being able to arrange order by clicking on the category “tab”. So have you for sure tried to click on the tab a couple of times to make sure the ordering is done by that category (date)? I know sometimes I end up thinking I’m seeing things in one order although I’m not, because I forgot that I had selected something else instead…

“this mediabay is a joke…”
Yes, but the whole N8.1 is a bad joke.

Is it? I didn’t notice…
Last time i looked it was the center piece of my studios.
I probably need to pay more attention.
Would you care to elaborate?

Servus, Big K

I work with media bay and it helps me not buying soundminer. BUT somethings must change.

{defined locations}
Works bad. I try to difene stuff but need to make defenitions everytime. Every new project i need to redefine and uncheck stuff.

{Channel splitting}ֿ
I need to split streo to mono files within the media bay. lots of stereo recording need to b mono in the project.
the splitting or making monoßstero tracks in Nuendo is horrible

{edit within mediabay}
some recordings are full of dead silence or other stuff i dont neet but take tons HDD space. I want to edit and save.

{pitch and reverse}
very basic func on any SFX search engine

{DOP within mediabay}

Hi Big K and Vinylist. when you sort metadata by numbers do you get “100” before “11” ? if no then what’s wrong with my nuendo ? if yes then what do you mean “reliably” or “fine” ? it’s fucked up !

… does nuendo team even read this ? i mean it’s such a bug to fix it makes no sense sorting numbers this way. i sent support message a week ago.

Can you be more specific as to what files can be edited and what files can’t? Are they all the same type? Are they all from the same source?

sorry not much time to look deeper for now

As for ordering: If I remember correctly a common feature in browsers and software is being able to arrange order by clicking on the category “tab”. So have you for sure tried to click on the tab a couple of times to make sure the ordering is done by that category (date)? I know sometimes I end up thinking I’m seeing things in one order although I’m not, because I forgot that I had selected something else instead…

mmm i tried all it’s always this order.

—EDIT ON CRAZY MEDIABAY—
when you searh for: CAR, results give CARtoon CARavan and so on… using “CAR”
doesn’t help. Do i miss something to search exclusively for CAR ?

now i remember why i went back to windows explorer search rather then stupid media bay.

When I’m searching mediabay for fx I’ll use a bit more specific searches. For example I never search for just “car”. Instead for example I search for “car door” or “Car idle” etc…
This way I don’t get any “cartoons” etc.

so i just put car door in my FX folder and came up with :

• cargo door sounds
  • carriage door
  • horses sounds (!) because result gives : horse poney sCARed neighing, bassy. InDOOR, stable
    … and so on.

if you put “car” in windows it gives you… car. as simple as that. And that’s window hey :laughing:

Strange.
I tested before I posted.
I put - car door - to mediabays search bar and all I got was doors for cars…

well depends on the size of the library and if there is only titles or exhaustive comments and BWF description.
but say you add a comment to any file saying “horse poney sCARed neighing, bassy. InDOOR, stable” and it will popup when you search for a car door.

I realise that if you type a word in the search bar, results will show every (fkin) sounds contained in a folder that has this word or part of this word. Even if the “media type” is set to audio.
so imagine you’r looking for a wave sound. Every sound contained in a folder called “my wav files” will pop up.

If you explore and experiment with the interface you will find that the Logical search in Mediabay does what you are complaining about. In this case: Any Attribute:matches words.

thx steve. Here’s my experiment. Please tell me what i do wrong.
Google Photos

You’re typing in the wrong place.

haaaa wonderful thank you !

No one in this thread has yet suggested reading the manual but I’m going to go ahead and do so now.

Read the manual. It often works wonders.