Media Pool, External Audio, File Updates Not Reflected

Hi all,
Just prefacing this post by saying I’ve looked through other older posts in the forum where people have had similar issues, but they didn’t have conclusive answers a lot of the time and this behavior is either not documented very well or there truly is something off with it.

The desired end goal here is that I have a production project and a mix project. I export the multitrack of the production into an external folder, and then import all of those multitracks into the mix project. If/when any of the multitrack files change, I want those changes to be picked up in the mix project automatically. I.e. I overwrite “LEAD_saw.wav” in “F:/someproject/multitracks”, and when I open up the mix project, the current file on disk is what’s in the project.

What I’m seeing is that the old waveform AND the old audio data are still in the mix project. The most succinct way I can describe the problem is that there is a difference between what I see/hear when opening a file on disk and what I see/hear in the mix project when a file that’s already in the pool is overwritten on disk.

The workaround I have for this now is deleting the audio out of the pool and re-importing it, but this burns a lot of time if I have specific edits and automation set up. It would be a HUGE improvement if i can just have Cubase pick up the new audio data and waveform image without having to redo a bunch of work.

From the manual, it seems like overwriting a file on disk that’s used as an external audio file in the pool should behave like I (and other users from the forum) are expecting. Where is the disconnect with the expected behavior here, and is there any workaround for updating an external audio clip that preserves edits and automation if it has to be re-imported from scratch?

Hi,

Could you describe this proves precisely, please? How do you export/import? How is the Export Options Dialog set up, please?

I would use 2 projects, which would share the same audio files source. So if you change the audio in one project (and bounce it to make sure the project is not using the file from Edits folder, but it really overwrites the source file), the file would change in the other project too.

Hi, thanks for the response.
I’m adding a screenshot here of an example, of the export settings.

The flow is
Production Project → Export multiple → Some external folder specifically for multitracks → a bunch of wavs are written to this folder

Mix project → Drag and Drop from file explorer into the project editor

Then later:
Production Project → Export multiple → The same multitrack folder as before → Some wav files are overwritten

Mix Project → Reopen the project → None of the overwritten wavs are updated, all audio is as it was previously

the file would change in the other project too.

It does not, that is the problem I’m trying to solve. It may be that Cubase just doesn’t work that way, and if that’s the case I’m just hoping to find something concrete to point to in the docs somewhere.

Hi,

How is the settings of the Import Options Dialog at this step, please?

Pretty barebones
import options

Hi,

The important part is that you don’t import the files to the project folder.

In this case, it should work.

Could you verify in the Pool, that both projects are sharing the very same file?

I have verified in the pool that the file exported by the production project is the same file in the pool being used by the mix project. I don’t have a screenshot for that since it’s just file names in a pool but they are pointing to the same thing.

One interesting thing I found when messing around is that if I delete the file on disk, it’s still showing up in the pool in the mix project. I’d expect it to have the “audio not found” error and ask me to locate it, but the file in the pool is showing a path+filename that doesn’t exist and is still playing it just fine somehow. There has to be something cached and copied somewhere even though I didn’t check any of the “copy to project” settings on import :thinking:

Hi,

Am I missing something…? If you export the file, you also have to import it to both projects. Otherwise it’s not one file…

Don’t rely on the same name. Verify the while path in the Pool.

If you are on Mac and you move any file to the trash, the applications can still reach it. In fact, the file is still there, just with the flag “trashed”, so the user doesn’t see it. You would need to Empty Trash. I don’t know, how Windies behave under the hood.

Yes you are missing something, the production project is the source of the wav file, it does not also consume it. I thought this was clear from the earlier posts, let’s just say it’s a synth line or something, and the production project has a vst synth instance and i’m exporting the output of that.

To clarify, the full path+filename are correct, and this is on windows, and the recycle bin was emptied. I do appreciate your responses and making sure it’s not user error.

Hi,

To summarize it…

• You have a VSTi in project A. You export it as an Audio file.
  • You import the Wav file to projects B and C and you don’t copy the file to the projects folders while import.
  • You modify the Wav file in project B. You Bounce it.
  • You open project C and the Wav file is not modified.

Do I describe it correctly, please?

No, but you’re close.

I have a VSTi in project A. I export it as an Audio file.
I import the Wav file in project B and I don’t copy the file to the projects folders while import.
I modify the Wav file in project A. I Bounce it.

I open project B and the Wav file is not modified.

Hi,

How does the Audio file appear in project A, please? You didn’t mention this step.

This should not be possible. Cubase does not, to my knowledge or experience, create cache files in the background nor does it embed any audio data within the cpr file. Cubase plays audio files direct from disk.
There’s two things I’m curious about. In your mix project’s Audio Pool, what status icons do you see for these “ghost” files that plays fine but are deleted from disk? If you right-click one of them and pick Open in File Explorer, where does that take you and what do you see?