Mediabay Folder Colors

The Cubase 10.5 manual reads

“The color of the folder indicates the state of the scan:
● Red indicates that a folder is currently being scanned.
● White indicates that all subfolders have been scanned.
● Yellow indicates that at least one subfolder is not yet scanned.”

I do not have any White folders, I have a grey folder for a folder that is unchecked to not scan. I have left Mediabay open all night and still have a lot of yellow folders but there are no subfolders so I am confused. I also have multiple orange folders which it says nothing about. It does say orange for checkmarks indicates that at least one subfolder is excluded from the scan and that all checks out fine.

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode, please?

Thanks, I’ll give that a try when I am back home.

Hi,
I’m having the same issue here; tried safe mode but no results…
Any idea?
Thank you,
Arturo

Without knowing anything about your setup, I would suggest deleting the mediabay database file.

Hi Steve,
thank you very much for answering so soon; before I try deleting mediabay database, file what do you mean with ‘setup’?
I’m on a MacMini late 2012, OS Mojave, 1TB SSD main hd
Schermata 2022-04-28 alle 00.25.00
Thanx again,
Art

this:

same suggestion. If you want to be safe, rename the file, rather than deleting. The sequencer will create a new one.

Ok, I’ll try and I’ll let you know!

It seems something goes wrong: mediabay blocks while scanning that folder, only containing mp3 files…

I write here after searching, for a similar topic, and replying to another post.
I ask the question in a different way: why Mediabay can’t read a common .mp3 file folder? It marks the folder as yellow but doesn’t show any file? How can I check what’s the issue?
Thank you,
Arturo

Please, there’s no need to start a new thread. Also, nothing is “blocked,” or at least the term where you use it doesn’t make sense in the context.

Did you try my suggestion?

Hi Steve,
yes, I followed your suggestion, I should have written in my answer, my mistake
I used yhe term “blocks” because the scanning never ends, and even after a long time the folder stays red, it seemed a logical choice considering the fact that the folder itself contains only 200 mp3 files and Mediabay took a relatively shorter time to scan every other folder…
Thank you,
Arturo

After you renamed medabay3.db, when you next launched Cubase and opened the Mediabay, what did you see? Did you see the entries re-populating? You should have, assuming you opened Mediabay upon launching Cubase

Yes, it happened, but that folder never ended scanning so I passed over…

Have you tried copying the contents of the directory in question to a new directory?

What is the full filepath of the directory in question?

@steve: yes I did and I also tried to rename the folder (located in the system user music folder) but I think I’ve eventually discovered the real problem and it 's depending on the mp3 file names: if I opened the finder as usual I could see these name:

but enlarging the view I saw this:

with all those slashes…
I renamed a couple of files, removing all the slashes, moved them in a test folder, and finally MediaBay could detect the files… (naming was done yet when I downloaded the folder, I think it was some free download) .

Thank you for support and help,
Arturo

2 Likes

That’s the reason why slashes are not allowed in files and folders names on Windows :sweat_smile:

Absolutely! :slight_smile:
p.s. I downloaded files with that name, I generally avoid slashes and co. even if I’m using a Mac