Mediabay for Beginners?

I am wondering if Im doing something wrong , do I need to create a scan to search folder within folders?

I have added a project folder to my Fav’s and was hoping to be able to search from the top level folder all the way down to files whin sub folders , or doesn’t it work like that .

maybe I need to create a db or something first ?

thx

Ok found the icon ! so is Meidabay create a database automatically when you add to Fav’s list

Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 11.36.44

When I try to Uncheck a folder I get a remove dialog ?
Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 11.43.44

What is your question? What is your expectation?

I am wondering if Im doing something wrong , do I need to create a scan to search folder within folders? or is simply click the box next to the folder creating a scan ? if so it seem to unscan if I un check the box . what the normal work flow in MB

No when you check a Folder by default all its sub-Folders will also be checked. You can of course uncheck sub-Folders you don’t want to include.

The checkbox is only indirectly indicating which Folders to scan. The check actually indicates which Folders to include in the Media Bay Database. All the locations included in the Database are regularly scanned. When you uncheck a location it removes it from the Database (which is why you got that warning message).

In general you can ignore scanning and just focus on what you do and do not want to include in the Database.

There are certain sound files that you do not want to include in your database. For example, if you have a sampled piano instrument it most likely has a file called samples which will stor a sound file or more for every single note. You do not need these files cluttering up your database searches. Just choose files that have a meaning to you, less is more. There is no way for Cubase to tell if your folder has wave files that are useful or whether they are simply wavs used by an instrument.