Melodyne LOSING all pitch edit data when doing a save as OR Cubase saves a new version

Hi. Interesting! I have also seen melodyne losing data on my Mac too.

Steinberg has been very quiet on this issue. I wonder how many combined hours of work have been lost because of faulty ARA integration between Cubase and Melodyne.

Iā€™d recommend staying away from ARA until the issue is properly addressed.

2 Likes

Any news ? Or is it welcome that there is an issue with a competitorā€™s compatibility to increase variaudio use?

Perhaps, but it begs the question ā€˜why develop ARA at all if their plan is to take over the pitch correction world?ā€™

I dont actually think that there is an intention behind the ara issues. I just wanted to provoque an answer ocerning the current state of the solution.

I have been having this issue randomly. I agree it is with ARA integration. It has happened to me even if I just saved the project, got out of it and got back in the next time. It always happens if I use Save as. I was hoping that it would be fixed in the next version that I just finally downloaded and installed as I had a project I needed to complete but 11.0.10 Build 321 has the same issue. Work around is to complete all edits without closing the project, export it and import it.
I will open a ticket with Celemony as well.

I have been having this issue too. Celemony say that the problem is with the way the host saves and reports back the data to Melodyne. In other words, over to Steinbergā€¦ Really need this to work as well as it did back in Cubase 10.5 but with the ARA improvements seen in 11 (i.e. being able to change volume of parts on arrange window , use Cubase fades etc.)

Thatā€™s progress at least. When I contacted Celemony they were still in denial.

Celemony was quick to respond as follows"
Hello Shekhar,

thanks for the mail. Please report this to Steinberg. When using ARA, the DAW handles all project files, not Melodyne.

yep exactly the response I had too :slight_smile:

Wow, thatā€™s some response. How about if Melodyne reports the problem to Steinberg, since itā€™s their product that is failing. The idea that the user base is somehow responsible for resolving these issues is absurd.

1 Like

Just a short update - I have compiled all the threads about this data loss issue (scattered across the forum in multiple posts!) into one PM that Martin J has now forwarded to the ARA testing/development team directly at Steinberg. Fingers crossed we get this looked at urgently for the next update. Many thanks to Martin for this and for everyone posting about their own troubles.

2 Likes

I just upgraded to Melodyne 5 and noticed theyā€™ve changed the way it attaches files to the session. From the Celmony website:

No more ā€œ.mddā€ files. Melodyneā€™s detection data, which was previously saved to separate ā€œ.mddā€ files, is now stored in the audio files themselves, making file directories clearer and the sharing of projects easier."

Hopefully this is a fix. Iā€™ll run a test next week.
M.

Has this new file format made any difference to the ā€˜ballooningā€™ file size problem reported in the thread hereā€¦?

In particular, see the Feb 26 post by dlinderyd

The recent 11.0.20 update didnā€™t do anything to solve this issue, Iā€™m afraid. We still get gigantic ARA folders. Steinberg thought they had solved the issue, but they havenā€™t. I guess we have to wait for 11.0.30 or 11.5 orā€¦

Let us know how you get on @Miku_Hanna . Iā€™ve had this problem on Melodyne 5 all along and the latest version from Celemony is still broken on random projects. :cry:

Interested to just find out that the ARA implimentation has now (May 2021) been made opensourceā€¦

I wonder if this will make a difference to anything longer term.

Same problem here. Edits from Melodyne 5 are never saved by C 11.0.20 even if an ARA folder with data is created. Melodyneā€™s support wrote me that itā€™s a problem of the host not being able to read the content of the ara folder.

Anybody know if 11.0.30 solves this issue? I have paused using Melodyne in Cubase and do the work in Cakewalk atm.

No. I made a post recently. Terrible situation. Celemony say the host is to blame, Steinberg say nothing and seemingly do nothing.