Melodyne Tempo map to Cubase

I just upgraded Melodyne editor to Melodyne Studio 4 (not yet installed) and am excited to try its new tempo matching features on a project with no drums that I was having problems with using Cubase tempo mapping.

Does anyone know if Cubase can read or import a tempo map made in Melodyne studio 4?

Thanks, Stephen

From memory of watching the new melodyne videos, i’m sure you have to export a midi file from melodyne which contains your tempo map?

Good question, I’ll try to investigate and report back if any conclusion are to be made.

I’m curious about this as well. Hopefully it’s not an ARA specific feature.

Experimenting with this at the moment. Not a MIDI expert at all, so until now I just found a clumsy method.

1. Do your tempo thing in Melodyne
  2. Export a ‘tempo map’ - which creates a MIDI file
  3. Open Cubase but don’t load a project
  4. Import that tempo map MIDI file
  5. Voila! Cubase gets it automatically! (If you open the tempo track it gets visible.)

However, I can’t get Cubase to not create a cluster of useless tracks:

Also have no idea how to implement a tempo track into an existing project. I’m RTLM (reading the lovely manual) currently… :laughing:

… checked the options for MIDI import in preferences.

Unticked ‘Ignore Master Track Events on Merge’ > the tempo information from the MIDI file replaces the tempo in an existing project. (‘Master Track’ means tempo track here - sounds like something that’s left over from an ancient incarnation of Cubase…)

Set ‘Destination’ to ‘MIDI Tracks’ > no unwanted instruments are created, great :sunglasses:

Thanks, good to know. I’ll be diving in as soon as I finish some other work. Hoping it will help with a project brought into cubase from tape without drums. Before I entered a tempo manually and then added the drums with midi, worked for the most part but there were still sections of the song that seemed a little off and kinda blew my confidence. It could be that the tape itself had stretched before bringing it in to Cubase. We’ll see how it goes.

Thanks, Stephen