Messy repeat bars

Hey,
I have a question.
I started learning Dorico two weeks ago and I’m pretty impressed by its power.
To really get in to it, I decided to bring a huge musical theatre project into Dorico which I originally finished in Sibelius. Of course I’m still searching and the learning curve is slightly slower then I hoped, but I’m on it.
I brought the Project via .xml. Was a little bumpy but worked.
Now I’m struggling with a thing. The original percussion Part looked fine. Now I reworked the percussion to the whole “one player, multiple instruments” concept and suddenly the repeat bars are very much messed up. They are unreadable close together, as you might see in the attached file.
Images pretty sure that I just don’t see the obvious and there’s a simple workaround, but I’m not able to din dit by myself.
Hope to get an answer on this forum.
Please excuse my English,
best,
Stephan

Hi Stephan,

I’m fairly sure what’s happening here is that there are no rests underneath the bar repeat regions, and so without anything underneath to “space” the bars, they end up squished. If you select the last note in the bar before each bar repeat region, look in the Properties panel at the bottom - a property called “Ends voice” is probably active; if so, deactivate it. This tells Dorico “show rests after this note”, and with rests underneath the bar repeat regions, they’ll be spaced correctly.

Lillie,

that fixed it perfectly.

To be honest: I do not REALLY understand why (still getting my head around some new Dorico concepts).

Thank you so much!

Best,

Stephan

In Sibelius, when you hide rests they are just hidden but they still exist. In Dorico, when you remove rests they no longer exist. The voice that the rests belong to ceases to exist, too, until you restart it. This is very logical in situations where you have multiple voices on a staff, but if you remove all of the voices on a staff then there is literally nothing in the bar. Without any notes or rests to space, Dorico won’t create space and you’ll end up in the situation you’re in (unless the layout contains at least one other stave which does have notes or rests at this location).

Thank you, pianoleo, for your explanation.
Now things are getting clearer.
Images already pretty impressed by Dorico even though I still have to get way more adapted to th new concepts.
Best,
Stephan