metadata workflow and other questions

Thanks PG for a nice update to Wavelab, I really like version 8 so far. I have a few questions after using it for a few days.

1. Did you remove the leveler plugin? I think WL7 had a simple plugin called level or leveler that had one slider to raise or lower the gain to both channels with one slider. I can only find a thing in stereo tools that does gain and panning, but the gain must be done for left and right separate and no way to link or lock the gains for left and right that I see.

2. I’m not sure if it’s a setting, but I could formerly move some regions and select undo without the zooming level or zoom area changing so I could make sure that gaps between regions or marker placements weren’t changing when doing something like substituting an audio file or moving regions. It seem that now when I toggle the undo or redo shortcut, the zoom and view change so I can’t A/B a certain area between undo and redo of a task.

3. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the metadata feature. I have had some success but it’s still trial and error as far as what I get for a result. I find it confusing that you can edit the metadata from the icon in the “CD” window of the montage as well as the window in the upper left by the notes, effects and other stuff in the montage. It seems that you can only add the art from the metadata section in the upper left but then more detailed info must be done by the icon in the CD window in the montage. Is it possible to embed the total number of tracks in the ID3 field or any other mp3 related field? I know that in Jaikoz audio file tagger you can enter the track number and total tracks in the mp3 file and it will translate to iTunes. I also had an issue where the title of the CD was ending up as each song name and I would also like to be able to leave the genre blank instead of being forced to pick a genre, somehow in Jaikoz you can leave the genre blank.

I see some of the presets like to cross over some metadata from CD-Text or custom CD metadata but I don’t understand the difference between auto variables and custom variables and what they can do.

If you have time to explain how to more easily explain the metadata that would be great. It seems that right now the Wavelab user can see too much behind the scenes stuff and that it could be more simple.

thanks.

1. Did you remove the leveler plugin? I think WL7 had a simple plugin called level or leveler that had one slider to raise or lower the gain to both channels with one slider.

It’s there:
2013-05-09_08-43-28.png

1. I’m not sure if it’s a setting, but I could formerly move some regions and select undo without the zooming level or zoom area changing so I could make sure that gaps between regions or marker placements weren’t changing when doing something like substituting an audio file or moving regions. It seem that now when I toggle the undo or redo shortcut, the zoom and view change so I can’t A/B a certain area between undo and redo of a task.

Change this:
2013-05-09_08-45-12.png

1. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the metadata feature. I have had some success but it’s still trial and error as far as what I get for a result.

The problem with meta-data is that it has many possible forms. To suit everyone needs, some customization is needed. This is not too complex, but yes, there is a logic to grab. I will try to help you.

I find it confusing that you can edit the metadata from the icon in the “CD” window of the montage as well as the window in the upper left by the notes

This is not the same thing. The data from the CD window is optional generic/custom info that is mainly “CD-Track related”, “per CD track”. You may, or not, fill it to inject it in the final meta-data in the files. Ideally one would want to setup CD-Text and reuse it later for meta-data. This is possible, but this is limited. There are 2 main purposes for this window: to enter unicode info, which is not supported by CD-Text. And you can also add info that is not part of the CD-Text specification.

Let’s say you have an album with 10 songs. You are not going to type 10 times the data in 10 windows. Instead, you set up this dialog. Then you use this info, wherever you want, inside the meta-data window (the Tool window)

Make sure to read these 2 topics: “Meta-Data for CD Tracks” and “About Meta-Data and Variables”.

The art is once for the album, hence you insert it directly from the Meta-data window.

Is it possible to embed the total number of tracks in the ID3 field or any other mp3 related field?

Yes, for instance:

Try also to see the presets:
2013-05-09_09-00-34.png

I would also like to be able to leave the genre blank instead of being forced to pick a genre, somehow in Jaikoz you can leave the genre blank.

What exact ID3 field are you speaking about? (picture please)

Thanks PG,

I will have to try and test the metadata features when I have a little more extra time, I’ll attach the screen where it won’t allow me to leave the genre blank. I’m also still having the album title show up where the song title should, and then album title is blank. I guess I will have to keep playing with it and then save it as a preset when I get it right.

I found the leveler plugin in the master section, but it seem that only the Peak Master and UV22HR are available in the new master output section that is specific to the montage. I’ll attach a picture of that too.

Thanks for showing me the feature to redo/undo including zoom settings, either it’s new and I overlooked it or I never noticed it but I think that will solve my problem with that, I usually don’t want to include the zoom settings when I undo or redo.

I will add the possibility to have the genre as “blank” in 8.0.2

For the Leveler plugin, indeed this is not available in the Montage.

Regarding the metadata genre: Thanks, at this point I usually leave the genre empty and let the client or end user fill it in unless they tell me otherwise. I still need to make a custom metadata preset that put the song title in the “Title” field and not the album title…I just haven’t had any downtime to try to learn this week.

Is there a specific reason that the leveler isn’t in the montage and only the master section?

I still need to make a custom metadata preset that put the song title in the “Title” field and not the album title…

This is possible, using the proper variables.

Is there a specific reason that the leveler isn’t in the montage and only the master section?

Yes, but not necessarily a good one. The Leveller is not a VST plugin (required for the montage), but a “Master Section internal” plugin, there for ages in WaveLab.

I finally had a few moments of downtime and was able to explore the metadata options.

Overall it’s great, but I’m still not seeing how to make WL8 embed the TRACK TOTAL in the ID3 field. All I can get it to do is the track number, but I also need to add how many tracks total for an album in the ID3 field. I see some options for “Number of CD TRACKS” in the audio variables value menu, but I don’t see any place to embed them in either of the ID3 windows. Am I missing something or is this not possible?

Also, is it possible to add a field to embed the “album artist” in the mp3 version of a file?

I still can’t seem to get WL8 to embed the track TOTAL in an mp3 file. Is this possible? I can get it to embed the track number of an album, but not the total amount of tracks on an album, I still have to import to Jaikoz to do this, and to remove the genre settings since WL8 makes you put something in the genre. Everything else seems to work great with the metadata support, amazing work.

I give you an hint on tomorrow, right now to busy :wink:

Thanks!

One solution is to do like this:

Another solution is to add a custom field, and add the proper variable (see above):

Thank you, this is amazing!

Once the 8.0.2 update is out and I can make Wavelab leave the genre field empty, I will be able to make mp3 files without having to use Jaikoz or other software to edit metadata, maybe just Jaikoz to double check sometimes.

I really appreciate you incorporating all of the metadata options in the new Wavelab. As far as I know, Wavelab 8 is the only mastering DAW for Mac (maybe all platforms) that can add all this metadata in one easy place using just one DAW to do both full mastering and file tagging. To me this is a big deal as we shift away from physical CD mastering and move further into the world of online music distro.

The only other possible thing I wonder, is about AIFF files. I don’t use them much (mostly WAV and mp3), but I know that AIFF files support the album artwork if you wish to add it I know WAV files don’t support art, but is there a way to render AIFF files from Wavelab 8 and have it show the artwork?

I really appreciate you incorporating all of the metadata options in the new Wavelab. As far as I know, Wavelab 8 is the only mastering DAW for Mac (maybe all platforms) that can add all this metadata in one easy place using just one DAW to do both full mastering and file tagging.

Exactly :slight_smile:

The only other possible thing I wonder, is about AIFF files. I don’t use them much (mostly WAV and mp3), but I know that AIFF files support the album artwork if you wish to add it I know WAV files don’t support art, but is there a way to render AIFF files from Wavelab 8 and have it show the artwork?

WAV files do support ART files, because ID3v2 is compatible with WAV files. You can do this with WaveLab :slight_smile:
Now, maybe not all software can detect this. VLC does, I think.
Concerning AIFF, there is no special support so far, because this format is much less common these days. Maybe this will change someday.

WAV files do support ART files, because ID3v2 is compatible with WAV files. You can do this with WaveLab > :slight_smile: >
Now, maybe not all software can detect this. VLC does, I think.
Concerning AIFF, there is no special support so far, because this format is much less common these days. Maybe this will change someday.

Interesting. Do I have to do anything different to make the picture file be embedded into both the WAV files and the mp3 version? Or is there just the one place for the picture and it will be embedded into WAV files and displayed by VLC and others that support it?

Interesting. Do I have to do anything different to make the picture file be embedded into both the WAV files and the mp3 version? Or is there just the one place for the picture and it will be embedded into WAV files and displayed by VLC and others that support it?

It’s the same procedure to embed in WAV and MP3.
Eg. you could have the same picture in the montage ID3 dfata, and this will be rendered to WAV or MP3, according to your choice.