metering is turned off

I must have inadvertently hit a switch, as I have no metering either through the Master Section or any of the other meters.

As I understand it, metering follows the Mastering Section, unless it is bypassed. Whether the Mastering Section is bypassed or not, I get no signal to the other meters. With Mastering Section on and nothing loaded, I get no metering through it. I still get audio, so it must be passing through.

Where is that confounded switch??

I struggled over this issue (as it took the moderators 3 days to approve and post my topic – thanks a lot). I finally found how to resolve the issue, but I don’t know what caused it.

On the transport bar is an option box for presets. The “default” preset caused the problem. Going to one of the other 4 predefined presets, everything is fine. But now I can’t get back to the default option unless I restart WL. But as soon as I open a sound file, it goes to the “standard” preset and everything is fine.

Prior to opening a sound file, I look at all the options for the “default” preset on the transport bar, and don’t see anything that would have caused the problem. Perhaps it somehow became corrupt?

Any insights would be helpful.

Well, I found the culprit.

At any playback speeds other than 100%, the default setting in the Playback Speed preferences is to “Bypass Audio Meters”. Unchecking the box and all is good.

What tripped me up is, once you select a different playback speed on the transport bar, that option remains enabled until you disable it. Even when you load different audio files.

When I select a new preset option, playback speed reverts to 100% (unless the option is for an alternative playback speed).

“Bypass Effects and Master Section” is also an option that is checked by default.

What tripped me up is, once you select a different playback speed on the transport bar, that option remains enabled until you disable it. Even when you load different audio files.

The transport settings are global to all files. This makes sense in a majority of cases.

Yes, global. Which also means it carries over from session to session, so restarting Wavelab keeps playback speed at the last setting.

I don’t think this is a good implementation, at least for my workflow. If I change the playback speed, and I regularly audition songs at different speeds, it is always song specific. The speed button on the transport bar does change color when playback speed is not 100%, so at least there is a visual cue. Still, I would prefer the setting was file specific.

hi,

i’m having the same problem; but noodling with the playbackspeed-preferences doesn’t change a thing, the meters are still not active, even if “bypass meters” is not checked.

best,
benoit