Metering point

Looking at page 411 of the “Operation Manual” relevant to the signal path in WL8, I was surprised to see the metering point for the Meter Window downstream the speaker configuration. This does not seem to be correct as the speaker gain button—included in the speaker configuration—as no effect on the Meter Window! I did a test with the wave generator, turning the speaker gain button + or - I got always the same fixed level either on the master section meters or the Meter Window , whatever the speaker gain button position! Note that on the Meter menu I am always on the “Monitor Playback” choice.
So are the two meters simply at the same place i.e. upstream the Dithering (or post-master effect) ?

This is by design. The meters show the levels how they will be rendered to files, and this never includes the speaker level.

I agree with you but want I wanted to say is that your “Operation manual” is not right and needs to be amended, because the sketch in page 411 is not correct !!!

p 471 of English manual? What topic name?

It’s page 409 of the English manual, under ‘Signal Path’. Looks wrong indeed!

The meters are not at the same place though, since the dithering slot (where also for example limiting can take place) is in between.

The “Signal path” diagram is found on page 411. But I see nothing wrong in it.
Don’t missunderstand the Master Section level meters, and the other independent meters.

Do we have different manuals and diagrams? Here it is 409, and meter windows are after speaker configuration…
WL8 Metering.jpg

What’s wrong with this diagram?

Depending on one’s view, you could say the meter windows shouldn’t be after the speaker configuration. I certainly wouldn’t expect them there, since speaker configuration has to do with equal monitoring, not with metering the signal as you want it to be rendered.

epending on one’s view, you could say the meter windows shouldn’t be after the speaker configuration.

You are perfectly right. The diagram is wrong on that point. I will ask for a change.

I am glad I raised this point. Yes, the sketch (Signal Path) in page 411 of the English Operation Manual is misleading.
It is obvious that the Meter windows monitor cannot be downstream the speaker configuration as this speaker configuration has a speaker gain button, and acting on this speaker gain button does not change at all the Meter window monitor (the first thing I checked)!!!
Anyway there is still one thing I do not really understand about this speaker gain button, what is its use if you must leave it at 0 dB, as you can read page 137:
“The speaker configuration #1 is active on startup and should be the default configuration, without a gain change.”
(for the moment I am using the UR22 which does not allow me to connect another pair of studio monitor, but I will upgrade my audio interface in a while…)
AMG

Mh, I’d say that’s more of a suggestion than a real demand. It makes sense to leave one of the buttons untouched, so you can revert back to the unchanged signal. But, if you feel like you want #1 to have +3dB and leave #2 at 0dB that should be fine. Ofcourse #1 will be the active one on startup, so you’ll have +3dB as a standard setting that way.

Many thanks Arjan P for your comment, but I thought that there were deeper reasons to leave the #1 button alone !
Anyway it is not a concern as I can set the volume on my pair of Adam studio monitor as well as on the UR22 audio interface.
However as I have got another pair of studio monitor I am thinking to buy the new UR44 to be able to switch from configuration #1 to #2 and in this case I will surely be happy to use the corresponding speaker button on #2 if need be.
I am still chasing a new audio interface for at least the connection of two pairs of studio monitor and with an S/PDIF input & output (lacking on the UR44). Have you any advise/experience of such audio interface?
Thanks for your help
AMG

Message to the Moderator PG:
As the “signal path” diagram will be amended in a next edition of the Operation Manual, I already asked another item: for more information on page 695 relevant to the command “readSamples( )”
It is written that the result is in an array by what is the unit ? How to output I would say in dB? Or in absolute value? No detail given in the documentation…
AMG

An array of samples normalized to +1 / -1 (1 == 0 dB). This is a standard.

Many thanks

AMG