Metering PRE fader!!!!! Steinberg c'mon!! we are in 2020!!!

I can’t believe that in 2020 we cannot have a choice to move channel mix metering in PRE fader mode!!! This function is required by users since cubase 6!!! Is it so difficult to add!!! Steinberg c’mon, EVERY daw has this function, is fundamental to take care of signal level in every strip of channels and we can see if there are one or more signal flow that reach 0dbfs…INDIPENDENT by the fader level!! If we have some faders lower in volume with the metering post fader or post pan, we maybe see a right level in out of these channels cause his fader is lower…and to check we are forced to open the editor and see slot by slot !!! Is riddiculus!!!
Please take a listen on this simple function and make it real!
Thanx

right click on the fader meter and select input no?

NO. Input metering is pre insert. Absolutely unuseful. I wanna meter my signal trough all my channel strip, but before fader.

1 Like

Neveftheless it is pre fader… And why is it required since version 6 only?

I don’t understand. Input metering doesn’t measure signal trought insert slot, but only the input in the channel. I don’t care. I need a meter that measure the signal level trought the strip (insert slot), but pre fader, so if the fader channel is low I can see anyway the real signal level before tha fader.
Is required by many years cause is a function that is much important, and all daws has.

1 Like

What inserts are you using that don’t have input meters?
Off the top of my head I can’t think of a single one (that I use) that doesn’t have an input meter on it.

Sure but I have to open it…otherwise with pre fader metering I can find any channel in peak with one look at the mixer…I think is the natural way and this is the reason for the post fader is a non sense

1 Like

With several inserts, how do you find the one that peaks with obe look at the mixer? Apart from that Cubase itself does not peak internally.

Saying that post fader metering is a non sense is a nonsense.

True, other DAWs have pre-fader metering.

However, as a practical matter, VV is right. The only imaginable purpose of pre-fader metering is to answer the question: if I already have insert plugins on this track and if I add a new insert plugin to the end of the insert chain, what will be the input level to that insert? Almost any insert plugin for which this matters will already have an input meter, so there’s not really much point to pre-fader metering. In any case, the shortcoming of pre-fader metering is obvious: it only tells you what the level is at the end of the insert chain. If you want to insert the plugin earlier in the chain, it doesn’t tell you anything.

In any case, if you really want that information, it’s pretty simple to determine: if your fader is at 0, then there is no difference between pre and post fader metering. If your fader is at -10, then simply subtract 10 from the value shown on the meter.

I think you both don’t understand what I write here. If you have 40 traks with metering pre fader I see immediatly in the mixer if one tracks clip. Then I open the channel and see what happen. Is not difficut to understand infact EVERY daw has this choise. I know every workaround, but is a workaroind to supply of a basic stupid function that every daw has…but not cubase. Simple.

1 Like

Tracks don’t clip. Pre-fader metering is a holdover from analog consoles that doesn’t really have any purpose in a DAW.

As said several times: Cubase tracks practically do not clip (apart from the output tracks - which is why post fader metering is not generally a nonsense). If at all, then the plugins clip, and then once again, you have to open all single plugins to see which one that is.

Practically does not clip? Over 0dbfs all digital signal clip. You don’t understand that in big project to find a clip in one track if I have faders not to 0, i’ve Forced to check one channel at time!!! Is riddiculous. This is the meaning of this post. And this is why EVERY other daw has metering pre fader.

2 Likes

Stop being lazy and gain stage properly. It should be redundant, your input level should be the same as your post insert level. If your input level is too low, then add gain to the source events via DOP or event gain. Don’t use plugins to add gain.

edit

you can use this plugin for $9

1 Like

Not in a floating point environment like Cubase. That´s why there are clip lights on the Cubase in- and output channels, but not on the audio tracks.
As long as your meter input levels are in range, clipping can theoretically only occur inside a plugin, so what you would need is a metering after every single plugin in the chain.

It sounds like you’re used to working with analog mixing. Things are different with a DAW, because tracks do not clip. Pre-fader metering makes sense for analog mixing where the track fader circuitry can overload. That doesn’t happen in a DAW.

Why do some other DAWs have pre-fader metering? That’s a good question. I would guess it’s simply because some people are used to that when working with analog mixers and they find it comforting to have the same feature when making the transition to a DAW. But it serves no purpose in a DAW.

That would be my guess too. It’s simply a hold-over signal flow concept from hardware desks, where a new generation of users converted to DAWs. I bet if that was removed from PT there would be hell to pay from older generation studio owners.

For the OP, if interested, there are lots of articles about 32 bit floating point and how it is very different than non-floating point.

All plugins that simulate analog hardware has in level works around -18dbfs. And if you are in An hybrid situation of digital and analog domain metering PRE fader is the only Thing that has a real sense. 32bit float or not. All other daw has because it needed.

I use gain stage properly. But seems that here anybody understand the meaning pf my post. Cubase doens’t have a function that all daw has. I don’t wanna workaoround or plugins. I wanna this choice from cubase mixer.

2 Likes

no