Metronome text with a specific font to obtain more complex descriptions. Is it possible?

I know it is a request that has already been reissued but having an more elastic editor for metronomic and agogic indications would be fantastic. I often need to write faithfully indications such as those attached.

I tried to replace the metronome text font with Metrico, but the results are not what was hoped for.
As you can see, the characters typed do not match the characters of the font but are replaced.
Is there a specific reason for this?
And if so what features should a font have to insert more complex metronomic descriptions as text, including musical symbols?
Or is it impracticable?

P.s .: I know the possible workarounds to date (use of different times on different points of the rhythmic grid, use of Metrico font etc.) but, working now on a work of gigantic proportions, the required adjustments/alignments become a huge number.

Thanks

matteo

As for the difficulty with Metrico: I think the problem is two-fold. First, Dorico uses different font styles for tempo text and metronome marks so you can’t use Metrico in the tempo text field. Second, Metrico is not SMuFL-compliant so Dorico expects the characters at different codepoints. That I should change, I’ll get to it sometime during the summer.

Thank you for your time, Florian.

I see that selecting Academico as Metronome Text font, the musical symbols are correctly interpreted.

So I suppose if I create, for example, an Academico-based font where I replace some non-functional characters with Metronome marks, it should work…
I’m not a font expert so my reasoning is really basic and maybe I don’t see obvious complications.

Yes, that should work, and it would actually be pretty easy to create a set of ligatures that build the few symbols you actually need for tempo indications within a normal text font. Just a matter of copying-and-pasting SMuFL glyphs from Bravura to Academico (it’s so nice that they have made all these fonts open-source!) and a bit of feature code. – I don’t have much time right now, but I might actually give it a go next week.

Something escapes me or is beyond my ability, as I’m not, in any case, competent of going beyond mere copying and pasting! :frowning:

I tried to substitute with Glyphs the symbol flat with the quaver one with no success, selecting the new font as Metronome Text Font.
Dorico seems to ignore the change and continues to use Academico. At least, that’s my impression.

I attach the test file and the ‘new’ font, in case anyone wants to take a look.

Thanks

test-AcaMetro.zip (379 KB)

You’re just changing the wrong font style. Dorico uses one of the tempo text font styles for the text part of a tempo indication. Metronome text is used for the numbers etc. after the note.

Changing the font for “Immediate Tempo Text Font” makes the trick. Thanks.

When I manage to have a decent font for this purpose, I’ll attach it here.