Microkorg through mixer record issues, please help

Hello everyone.

I’m new to Cubase, just got my MPD connected and it’s working fine, however I can’t hear anything from my Microkorg. I don’t want to use it as a MIDI (I have MIDI cables for it but I think you kinda loose the whole idea of the synth) Instead I got a Behringer xenyx mixer and I want to record the actual sounds of the Microkorg into Cubase.

I have ASIO drivers and Behringer USB drivers and got in/out as active in the Device Setup section.

BEHRINGER USB AUDIO (VST Audio System)
When I press the keys on the MK both the mixer, line in and even the indicator in Cubase are picking this up, however no sound from my speakers…

ASIO4ALLv2 (VST Audio System)
I can hear sounds from my MPD, but I loose the Microkorg.

Is there anyone here that can help me understand what I’m doing wrong, why there is no sound?
How can I record the Microkorg actual sounds and use my MPD as MIDI at the same time?

No ideas? … :frowning:

Are your speakers connected to the Xenyx stereo output??

Did you remember to click on the monitor button in Cubase? (It’s to the immediate right of the record button) That’s a very common newbie mistake, so don’t sweat it.

I tried it and I could actually hear the MK sound from the speakers when I did. the downside is that the MIDI pad i use (MPD18) is USB only and the sounds from that device goes straight in to the computer, which means I have to use two speaker sources to hear both of them. I thought the sounds shouldn’t matter since it’s a record issue I was just strucked that I heard no sound… and now I do, but still no response on any of the sound indicator “bars” in Cubase from the microkorg.

When I go Devices > Decive Setup > BEHRINGER USB AUDIO DRIVER
I see that I have 2 active outputs but 2 inactive Inputs, I figured it ought to be the problem.
However I can’t seem to be able to activate them whatever I do.
When I switch around in VST System Link nothing changes either :frowning:

Wow, thanks man. I tried it but it didn’t work though… But I’m sure that would’ve been my next failure if you didn’t point that out :slight_smile:

Big thanks to both of you for giving tips I really apreciate it

OK…I think you’re a bit confused about how this all fits together.

When you use the Behringer by selecting it in Cubase it becomes your computers soundcard…so of course you must have your speakers connected to it. You cannot use the Behringer for input (recording) while you use the PC built in audio for output(playback/record monitoring/vst instruments) the Behringer will be your ins and outs.

The MPD18 does not send any audio over USB only midi (note data).
You must be loading software that it plays…is this a vst instrument you are loading in Cubase??

Anyhow…with everything set up correctly you will also be able to hear this with the speakers connected to the Xenyx.

If you say which Xenyx you have I’ll take a look and see if we can work it out.

The MPD18 does not send any audio over USB only midi (note data).

with everything set up correctly you will also be able to hear this with the speakers connected to the Xenyx

Ah, yeah I’m with you this far. I just thought I couldn’t be able to hear the “data midi sounds” if the speakers are connected to the mixer, but since the mixer is connected to the computer with USB it goes through? MPD>PC>MIXER>SPEAKER… nice, thanks :smiley:

You must be loading software that it plays…is this a vst instrument you are loading in Cubase??

MIDI and VST goes hand in hand right? Or am I totally lost here… I thought this had something to do with the microkorg not being able to record… I don’t want to record MIDI through the Microkorg just its actual sounds, that’s why I bought the mixer. But I want to use the MPD for drums and sampling and stuff, if that’s what you meant then yes :slight_smile: I’m really new to this…

The mixer is a Behringer Xenyx Q1002. With the MPD being sorted out thanks to you, now it’s only the microkorg I need to set up properly through Cubase, I was able to record with it on another music program so I know I got the MK in the right inputs on the xenyx, but there’'s something I’m doing wrong. I just don’t understand what…

OK…sounds like we’re most of the way there.

From a quick look at the manual for that Xenyx I think this is the procedure.

1. Connect your speakers to Control Room Out rather than Main outs (if you haven’t got them this way already)

2. On the mixer make sure the USB2 Phones/Control Room is pushed in/selected.

3. You should now be able to hear playback of instruments in Cubase and also your Korg playing live…but you can record the Korg without the other playback looping back.

4. In Cubase vst connections (F4)/input tab make sure you have a stereo input bus created. Assign this in the right hand column to the Xenyx Ins 1 & 2.

5. Create a Stereo audio track and assign the same bas as the input of this track (in the inspector or in the mixer/routing section)

6. Arm record for the track, hit the record transport button and go.

Nice man, I think I’m getting closer…

1. You should now be able to hear playback of instruments in Cubase and also your Korg playing live…but you can record the Korg without the other playback looping back.

I can hear the playback, Cubase is also picking it up now (you can see the sound waves on the 1st picture, but when i rewind and play the track it’s complete silence. I connected my speakers to the mixer and tried “Phones” input (which I had it on before) and also Room out. both Audio track and also MIDI track is just complete silence when I press play. This happens when I have “TO PHONES/CTRL ROOM” pressed down on the mixer.

When I press down “TO MAIN MIX” on the mixer I get every sound working, music, MPD, system sounds and so forth… but it fails to pick up the Microkorg in Cubase, I still hear it when I play though through the speakers. When I press play track I only hear the MPD.

This should be right, correct?

I followed all your steps and learned alot by doing so, I’m getting closer to figureing out what’s wrong. I have all mixer values on default also.

in the VST System Link panel everything is now shown as active, the ‘Ins’ where inactive before. Atleast I’m getting somewhere :slight_smile:

Have you tried turning off the monitoring button on the recorded track?

Yeah man, I tried both on/off. When monitor is off cubase fails to pick up the synth :frowning: Also tried recording with different mixer settings and then switching to other settings before pressing play to see if I could hear the track. On the microkorg audio track the sound waves are extremely small/low compared to the MPD Midi track. But I also tried to increase speaker volume to an extreme level to see if I could hear the MK but still dead silent.

When monitor is off cubase fails to pick up the synth

Well that’s exactly what is supposed to happen…with monitor on the input is monitored (live played synth). With monitor/record enable off you should be able to hear the recorded synth track.

The thing is that if you can hear the MPD track playing (or more accurately the instrument it has programmed) there is absolutely no reason you shouldn’t hear the Audio track too. Record enable and Monitor button need to be off…everything else as already stated.

I just noticed I have only Mono ins on my mixer, and switching to that on the audio track made magic. Dude, thanks to you I now understand the program. pressing down TO PHONES/CTRL ROOM on the mixer and recording with monitor on, then switching to off when pressing play, I can now hear everything I record. Before when I recorded I had the wrong settings on Cubase & the mixer, no sound waves through the track… and I didn’t understand how the monitor button worked, (I just spammed on/off with no recorded sound) but now I understand.

With your 6 steps of help I also got everything sorted properly, I am so happy.
Thanks for bearing with me, you kept helping even though I couldn’t understand. I really apreciate your help I have not found any better information on the internet that was this accurate for me :slight_smile:

I wish you all the best.
LOVE