Microphone volume very low

Hi all! :slight_smile:
Still experimenting on my first test project in Cubase! :slight_smile:
I had recorded a voice track using the notebook’s built-in microphone.
Since I had managed to do that recording, trying to record my voice again in another audio track, I always get a much lower volume. I mean, in the old recording, I can see the waveform in the track’s clip. I’m trying to record again the same vocals, more or less at the same voice volume, but I get a clip in which the waveform is barely visible: it seems like a flat line, unless I zoom-in a lot.
I had changed many audio settings, both in Windows and in Cubase, before I found the good configuration (thank you again for all your help in this forum! :slight_smile: ). So I suspect I might have changed something to input configuration that caused this issue. For example, when I had recorded that voice clip, I was still using bluetooth headphones (now I use wired ones), even though I was already using the notebook’s built-in mic.
Do you have any suggestions about what should I check? Any best practices a newbie like me should know about recording vocals?
Thank you very much in advance and… happy new year!! :slight_smile:

P.S. Attached screenshot of my tracks: first track is a VST guitar. Second track is the old recorded voice (good volume). The third one is the newly recorded voice (volume extremely low):

Buy a real microphone.
It’s much easier with an audio interface, a mic, and headphones.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer @st10ss ! :slight_smile:
I was suspecting this. I’m a totally newbie in music production. At the moment I’m using ASIO4All driver with wired headphones and notebook’s built-in mic.
So it would be a good idea to look for a hardware audio interface along with a microphone. Do you have any suggestions for an audio interface that could fit a beginner like me?
Thanks again! :slight_smile:

There are too many possibilities.

You can still buy a microphone with integrated interface.
The Rode and Audio Technica models are known for good sound, moderate prices and ease of use.
But some others might be very good as well.

2 Likes

Here’s some info about choosing an audio interface

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/audio-interface-buying-guide/

1 Like

I personally would never get a usb mic as you will outgrow it quickly and it will be useless once you get an audio interface. A standard mic can be used in any interface.

I suggest you do a bit of research yourself. There are plenty of stuff already out there.

1 Like

So true. Even a super cheap audio interface + a supercheap condenser mic would be better.

Plus you will learn many things about recording by using separate devices.

Here is a search I set up sorted by price.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your answers!
@raino I read the guide, interesting and informative, thanks! :slight_smile:

Ok, so I’ll look for a dedicated audio interface and a standard condenser mic.
@steve I’ll start by checking your search and I’ll also have a look by myself. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Buying this for my Son, could be worth checking out.