.mid drum loops import problem

Hi Lars

I have been trying to import some old .mid files from a 2005 version of Cubase into Cubasis. All files appear in the My MIDI Files folder in the media bay, however only the files of the bass and keyboard parts will appear in the track when double clicked; the files for the drum loops do not move to a midi track when double clicked. I can open all the .mid files for the drum loops in GarageBand no problem so I know the drum loops are not corrupt.

I remember there were issues with this way back when Midi import was added to Cubasis but I can’t find a solution on the forum.Running latest Cubasis 3.4.3 on iPad Pro 5th gen, iOS 15.2.1.

Thanks for your response

Chris

Hi @Tedbloggs,

Normally, these should be the steps to load MIDI files with Cubasis:

(1) Please create an empty project.
(2) Go to “Media/MIDI”.
(3) Double tap the MIDI file to open it with Cubasis.

If you encounter issues to open some of the MIDI files, please share them with me so we can have a look at them. To do so, please upload the files via Dropbox or similar, and let me have the download link via private message.

Thanks,
Lars

Hi Lars

I have sent you a Dropbox link on a PM with two of the drum loops that won’t transfer from the My Midi Files to a Midi track. As I said it seems to be only the .mid files containing just drum patterns that Cubasis is unable to open (they open in GarageBand so I know the files are fine). Keyboard parts alone, or multitrack .mid files with a mix of drums and instruments open fine in Cubasis.

Thanks

Chris

Hi @Tedbloggs,

Thanks for sharing the MIDI files with us!

From what I see the files include SysEx data. Normally, Cubasis should skip SysEx, but in some cases this may fail. Please give it a try to import regular MIDI files, which should work as expected with Cubasis.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Lars

Hi Lars

Thanks for your response. I was unaware there was Sysex in those files. I can find a way to filter it out I’m sure. Do you know any iOS apps that would enable me to edit Midi files in this way?

Thanks

Chris

Hi @Tedbloggs,

in Cubase you should be able to exclude SyEx data when exporting MIDI tracks.

Normally, this should be the way to go: Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter > SysEx: Off. Other DAWs should have similar options.

Unfortunately I’m unaware of iOS apps which allow to delete this kind of data.

Hope that helps!

Stay safe,
Lars