Middle C = "c3"?

Pretty much everywhere else I know of (e.g. Vienna Symphonic Lib), middle C = C4, but in the Cubase piano roll (and perhaps elsewhere?) middle C = C3. Why is that, oh wise ones?

:slight_smile:

william zeitler

It’s that way in the awesome uber-keyboard pullout in Bob Katz’s book too.

Isn’t it to do with having C0 instead of C-1 as the bottom note? In any case, as long as the note numbers (60) are the same it’s okay. [edit] not quite right, see below: Default Song Name - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

I was also interested to find this out: Scientific pitch notation - Wikipedia

I remember that at one point it was always said that Yamaha keyboards used C3, whereas Roland used C4, though as Crotchety points out C4 is used in scientific pitch notation. It would be good if Cubase allowed you to have the choice, as Logic Pro does. :slight_smile:

been like that since the Atari daze as far as I remember, you get used to it after a while.

+1000000000000

Actually, the point I was making was that Scientific Pitch Notation bases its tuning on a middle-C of 256Hz, giving concert-A of circa 431Hz - way flat! Don’t know how often it turns up but I’m glad I know about it now.

Elsewhere in the page (Scientific pitch notation - Wikipedia) it mentions that there was no standard for octave numbers in the MIDI spec. It even mentions C5. SPN seems to have settled on C4. Looks to me to be a matter of preference for the sake of clarity.

Having said that, according to my calculations: Note #0 = C0, C-1 or C-2 for Note #60 = C5, C4, C3 respectively. So wouldn’t that make C5 the obvious choice for middle-C? So why on earth…? Anyway, not going there, got work to do.

Has Cubase added this feature yet, I have to think of middle c as c4!

1 Like